Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Michigan Concealed Pistol Licenses By County

These Michigan counties have highest rate of handgun ownership

By Mark J. Rochester
    Detroit Free Press
    October 13th. 2017

Often maligned for the level of violence around metro Detroit, the three-county area surrounding the city has some of the lowest per capita licensing of handguns in the state, according to an analysis of the latest available data from Michigan State Police.

Michigan firearms laws
    vary depending on the type of weapon, where they are being used and, in some cases, even the intent of the person possessing the gun.

Gun registration information by state law is exempted from open records requirements, but state police do compile applicants throughout the state regarding concealed pistol licenses.

MSP statistics updated as of Oct. 2, show rates for the metro area of approved concealed pistol licenses at 68 firearms per every 1,000 residents in Macomb, about 62 in Wayne and 61 in Oakland County, according to a Free Press analysis. That’s nearly half the rate of some of the more rural parts of the state, such as Alcona, Keweenaw and Montmorency counties, which tallied 122, 119 and 114 approved licenses per 1,000 residents, according to the analysis.

I am a Forum User
    Anyone surprised to see Washtenaw county with the lowest numbers.....yea me neither.

How does this compare to gun related deaths and other gun related crime?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by DV8r View Post
    How does this compare to gun related deaths and other gun related crime?
    I have no idea!

I also can't figure what the purpose of blending together the topics of CPLs', Con-carry and handgun registration under the headline of "These Michigan counties have highest rate of handgun ownership", which is hardly touched upon.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    I have to admit, it's a sloppy journalistic effort, and an awkward effort at correlating handgun ownership and CPL status,but it's a slow news day!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ATA Works View Post
    Anyone surprised to see Washtenaw county with the lowest numbers.....yea me neither.
    Meaning?

Fake news.

1. The acquisition database is just that, who knows who still owns these handguns.
    2. Lots of people just ignore registration. If it's common in New York, then it's definitely common here.
    3. Some of my handguns aren't on the "list" because I'm exempt from the acquisition database, and so are many others.

I am a Forum User
    Yeah the title of this article seems a bit misleading. That being said, I can't say that the breakdown by county seems very surprising.