Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: C & R license

MGO Member

C & R license

Hi all,

I have seen that having a C & R license is nice when purchasing old 'classic' firearms. Are they hard to acquire? Is it worth it, or a 'not really' kind of thing?

Thanks for your thoughts. (and sorry if this is the wrong discussion area to ask this.)

I went down that path several years ago. Didn’t bother to renew when it expired. Record keeping isn’t really my strong point.
    Formerly Known As RevDerb since 2008 with 9,457 posts.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    http://revderb.blogspot.com John 5:24 <><

A few years ago it was worth it. The C&R market has become expensive. Just my 2 cents.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

MGO Member
    I let mine expire, too. Been thinking about getting one again. Last I knew it was only $30 for a three year license. If you save yourself one transfer fee per year it was worth it. Brownells and Midway used to offer discounts as well, but I'm not sure if they still do.
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

I am a Forum User
    Brownell does not a lot but a discount is a discount. Can't speak about Midway.

Do it.
    The discounts at Brownells and Midway etc pay for it.

If some screaming deal comes along on a cool gun, you can snap it up and have it delivered to your door.

I would recommend EVERYONE get one. They are cheap, and easy to get.

If I ever retire form the firearms business, I will get one myself.

I am a Forum User
    Not really worth it anymore. But it is dirt cheap to get and the Brownells discount has been spectacular for small parts etc when coupled with the free shipping offers

If you are going to purchase C&R eligible fire arms, it makes no sense not to have a C&R. Unless you purchase from a retailer, transferring the piece from your FFL to you can range from $20-$50+. And if you purchase from a retailer, there is no requirement to fill out the 4473. You only do that once when you apply for your license. With a C&R there are no transfer fees and the weapon comes directly to your door. For those who complain that the surplus weapons are getting more expensive? I would ask, what isn't getting more expensive? And for those interested, anything manufactured during or before 1967 is now C&R eligible. I have recently purchased a number of very nice Colt revolves, manufactured in the 40's and earlier. All C&R. Mater of fact, I also purchased a very nice CZ-82 that was manufactured in 1994 but because a museum's letter that was forwarded to the BATF, indicating that they felt that the CZ-82 was a curio and relic, the BATF made this pistol a C&R.

Record keeping? A child could manage the 7 bits of information you need to purchase one and/or to sell one. You might want to keep the purchase record in your files for a lot of good reasons but there is no requirement from the BATF for a C&R holder to maintain those types of records.
    Purchase information required to be maintained is:
    1. Manufacturer (Importer in many cases)
    2. Description of item
    3. Serial Number
    4. Type (rifle or handgun)
    5. Caliber of item
    6. Date you took possession
    7. Name and address (or FFL License number) of the seller

Sales information required is:
    1. Transaction Date
    2. Name and Address or Name and License Number of the person you sold the weapon to
    3. Date of Birth if Nonlicensee of the buyer
    4. Driver's License Number or FFL Number of the buyer
    5. For Transfers to Aliens, Documentation Used to Establish Residency

If selling to another C&R licensee, you will need a copy of their signed and dated license. If selling to a dealer FFL, the FFL# is sufficient. They are not required to provide a copy to the buyer. If selling FTF within Michigan, you must have the buyer's driver's license number (good idea to get a xerox of the license too). When licensed, any sale or purchase of a C&R weapon must be logged. This includes sales of any C&R eligible weapon you purchased prior to being issued the C&R.

So, a C&R is not just for dusty old relics, does not require extensive record keeping and that 50 year old clock continues to run every year. For example, the M-16's produced from 1964-1967 are now C&R eligible. Of course licensing laws may be a bit more stringent for these. This is much different from the antique law. That is a fixed date that basically indicates (from a Federal perspective) that any firearm made on or before 1898 is a non firearm and does not require a license to sell or purchase. Different states have different laws regarding this however. Michigan follow the Federal law in this matter. There are hopes that the antique laws will change and move forward in time from 1898.

The only downside to a C&R license is that you will spend more money than you would have if you didn't have a license..
    Don't change them - leave them as they were...

MGO Member
    Thank you all for the information. @qz2026, thanks that is a lot of good info.

qz2026, that was an awesome explanation!! Thanks!

C&R firearms are still a great value.
    In 15 years, you will lament and say "I remember the days I could buy a Mosin Nagant 91/30 for only $250.

They always go up in value.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast