Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: C & R license

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    I read it 4 times. Still don't see the answer to my question. What am I missing?

If I have C&R items, and get a C&R license, do I have to document my personal firearms?
    No

The answer is no. If HOWEVER you decide to sell any C&R weapon while you have a C&R license, you will have to book it out. If that this weapon was purchased prior to your C&R it doesn’t make any difference. If you sell it, it must be booked out and this includes pistols that are currently (or in the future) designated as C&R. This can either be listed in the BATF document or generally manufactaured 50 years ago or longer. Of course, any firearm manufactured prior to 1898 would be considered an Antique and not C&R.
    Don't change them - leave them as they were...

I am a Forum User
    Alright, I've been clicking around on the ATF site trying to find the C&R application and process. I am a nitwit that can't find what I'm looking for but can find answers to questions I'd never ask about explosives, arson, alcohol, etc. Can anybody tell me where to go, I've been to Hell already. Thanks in advance.

MGO Member
    The forms can be downloaded here.

ATF F 5310.12/5310.16 (Form 7/7CR) - Application for Federal Firearms License
    Part B - Responsible Person Questionnaire - Application for Federal Firearms License Supplement
    FD-258 (Fingerprint Card) Instructions and Example

You can also request ATF mail you the forms.
    here: https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

I am a Forum User
    Thank you very much.

MGO Board of Directors

Sent in my application for a C & R (type 3 FFL) on Jan 30th.
    Let's see how long it takes for it to be approved, or rejected.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    C&R is easy to acquire. I had one, let it lapse a few years, renewed and then let it lapse. I don’t buy enough C&R firearms to make it worthwhile. Grafs dealer acct is nice but you have to purchase $2k worth of stuff a year to maintain it.

If you can acquire a CPL then you can get a C&R.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
    Sent in my application for a C & R (type 3 FFL) on Jan 30th.
    Let's see how long it takes for it to be approved, or rejected.
    Still waiting................
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by qz2026 View Post
    If you are going to purchase C&R eligible fire arms, it makes no sense not to have a C&R. Unless you purchase from a retailer, transferring the piece from your FFL to you can range from $20-$50+. And if you purchase from a retailer, there is no requirement to fill out the 4473. You only do that once when you apply for your license. With a C&R there are no transfer fees and the weapon comes directly to your door. For those who complain that the surplus weapons are getting more expensive? I would ask, what isn't getting more expensive? And for those interested, anything manufactured during or before 1967 is now C&R eligible. I have recently purchased a number of very nice Colt revolves, manufactured in the 40's and earlier. All C&R. Mater of fact, I also purchased a very nice CZ-82 that was manufactured in 1994 but because a museum's letter that was forwarded to the BATF, indicating that they felt that the CZ-82 was a curio and relic, the BATF made this pistol a C&R.

Record keeping? A child could manage the 7 bits of information you need to purchase one and/or to sell one. You might want to keep the purchase record in your files for a lot of good reasons but there is no requirement from the BATF for a C&R holder to maintain those types of records.
    Purchase information required to be maintained is:
    1. Manufacturer (Importer in many cases)
    2. Description of item
    3. Serial Number
    4. Type (rifle or handgun)
    5. Caliber of item
    6. Date you took possession
    7. Name and address (or FFL License number) of the seller

Sales information required is:
    1. Transaction Date
    2. Name and Address or Name and License Number of the person you sold the weapon to
    3. Date of Birth if Nonlicensee of the buyer
    4. Driver's License Number or FFL Number of the buyer
    5. For Transfers to Aliens, Documentation Used to Establish Residency

If selling to another C&R licensee, you will need a copy of their signed and dated license. If selling to a dealer FFL, the FFL# is sufficient. They are not required to provide a copy to the buyer. If selling FTF within Michigan, you must have the buyer's driver's license number (good idea to get a xerox of the license too). When licensed, any sale or purchase of a C&R weapon must be logged. This includes sales of any C&R eligible weapon you purchased prior to being issued the C&R.

So, a C&R is not just for dusty old relics, does not require extensive record keeping and that 50 year old clock continues to run every year. For example, the M-16's produced from 1964-1967 are now C&R eligible. Of course licensing laws may be a bit more stringent for these. This is much different from the antique law. That is a fixed date that basically indicates (from a Federal perspective) that any firearm made on or before 1898 is a non firearm and does not require a license to sell or purchase. Different states have different laws regarding this however. Michigan follow the Federal law in this matter. There are hopes that the antique laws will change and move forward in time from 1898.

The only downside to a C&R license is that you will spend more money than you would have if you didn't have a license..
    Hello,
    would you be kind enough to let us know where you like to puchase from. Maybe even a small list. (I just recently recieved mine)

I am a Forum User
    If you obtain a C&R license, purchase a C&R firearm through that license, and then decide to keep it for a personal collection, would it then be "resold" to yourself from the license? Or are you and the license one in the same? Maybe I'm confusing this with LLC to personal.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast