Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: Garand Gas Plug

I am a Forum User

Garand Gas Plug

Anyone replace the Gas Plug to be able to shoot comerical ammo? If so what did you use??

I am a Forum User
    I've installed a couple of them , I think they were made by Schuster . from the side they look much like the standard plug . Has an allen head screw inside for adjustment .

Never used commercial ammo in it yet but it will tone down some of the "lively" military offerings so I'm sure it would work for commercial .

Jack

I am a Forum User
    Hi McNasty:

I have one although I forget the manufacturer.

Takes a while to tune it and it is a bit touchy. Basically you unscrew it and then shoot a round and if it does not cycle, screw it in a quarter turn.

For me it is two complete turns to go from mil surp to commercial and back. still requires some fiddling so when I switch to commercial, it is a trip to the range to confirm it cycles properly and also to confirm zero (two clicks down for commercial on the rear sight)

I also have a scout scope that needs rezeroing as well.

Regards,
    Crankster

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
    Hi McNasty:

I have one although I forget the manufacturer.

Takes a while to tune it and it is a bit touchy. Basically you unscrew it and then shoot a round and if it does not cycle, screw it in a quarter turn.

For me it is two complete turns to go from mil surp to commercial and back. still requires some fiddling so when I switch to commercial, it is a trip to the range to confirm it cycles properly and also to confirm zero (two clicks down for commercial on the rear sight)

I also have a scout scope that needs rezeroing as well.

Regards,
    Crankster
    Thanks Guys

MGO Member
    Save yourself the messing around with an adjustable plug and just get one of these:

http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html

I have had a couple of them for years and had no problems at all shooting commercial ammo. Plus you can go back and forth between military surplus and commercial without having to adjust anything.