Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: Remington 03

Remington 03

I have a 1942 Remington 03, receiver serial number is correct for 9/1942 and the barrel is stamped 9/1942.
    The cartouche(s) are a mystery, can't find anything like it.
    Any info?
    What's the value? 2017_102703rem0001.jpg
    2017_102703rem0002.jpg

Thanks,

I am a Forum User
    Your Remington '03 was subjected to a reproof and headspace check at the arsenal level. This usually occurred after a rebuild, but it also occurred when a field armorer found something out of order with a firearm and kicked it back up the supply chain. Look over your lumber and metalwork carefully and you should find further cartouches which indicate which arsenal and final inspector were involved if your rifle was rebuilt, but you might not find any further cartrouches if they just replaced the bolt and reproofed it.

It's stamped SAA, San Antonio Arsenal and I believe a F stamp. I have not seen a circular stamp before.
    Thanks for the info.
    I can't find any other markings.

I am a Forum User
    The circle with a "P" is the standard proof for the rifle . I an sure the square with a "P" was done in Texas during a rebuild . Sorry I don't know the reason Texas got to use a square when everyone else used a circle .

Jack

I am a Forum User
    The 'P' inscribed in a square was an overstamp, intended to distinguish reproof from initial proof. It was usually used when a stock was not sanded, such as when a bolt alone was replaced at the arsenal level.

Remington had a lot of trouble restarting Model 1903 production. The machinery and gauges Springfield shipped them were in awful condition, so there was quite a bit of field reworking.