Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Colt Python-Smith and Wesson model 19 aka smython or smolt

Hey Guys, I have a chance to pick up a very nice Smython, It is in like new condition. Anyone have any idea what it may be worth?

I am a Forum User
    Do you know who built it? Without seeing it, I would put the value at around $700, but that's just my opinion. Is the seller from Clinton Twp., by chance?

I am a Forum User
    I don't know who built it at this point bit I think I'll have more info tomorrow. I saw it in person today and looked way better than in the pictures that I saw. The seller is not from Clinton Twp. Thanks for your input!

I am a Forum User
    There used to be a local gunsmith by the name of Lin "Trapper" Alexiou who built a few of them. I had the opportunity to do some extensive shooting with one of them, and it was first rate. maybe you'll be lucky and get one of his. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by juicemon View Post
    There used to be a local gunsmith by the name of Lin "Trapper" Alexiou who built a few of them. I had the opportunity to do some extensive shooting with one of them, and it was first rate. maybe you'll be lucky and get one of his. Good Luck.
    Trapper's work could be good and then it could be bad. He garnered a lot of attention by rebarreling S&W's i.e. putting 44 spl barrels on N frame 357's, changing 4" 44 mags to 6" etc.

He was known for creating oddball handguns with dual finishes and sending them out to be 'reviewed' by known gun writers. George Nonte being a favorite target. Trapper would send the handgun, describe his work on it, then, as an afterthought, say "Oh, by the way, after you finish your review, just keep the gun."

He was also known for installing the red plastic in non-red ramp front sights with less than care and I have seen more than a few rebarreled frames that were quite marked by the pistol blocks.

I had a long conversation with Jerry Moran one day (a true handgun master) and he thought Trapper might be better off going into a specialty application re: handguns and leave the real smithing to someone else. Trapper obviously heard about this since he went into making springs which many thought were of very high quality.

(Re: Python work, Trapper was the last person any Colt person would take a Python to - If his Smython was on a Smith frame with a Colt barrel it wasn't bad because, unlike the Colt, the Smith lockwork was simple - the Python was best left to someone like Moran or the old-at-that-time in-house Colt people.)

I am a Forum User
    Last edited by mkoopdeville; 10-31-2017 at 05:50 PM.

I am a Forum User
    The pic does not do it justice at all!

Better than Colt frame - Smith barrel IMO. I would still use a range rod to verify lock-up / bore alignment.

(Still, it looks pretty cool tho )

Is there some advantage or is it the cool factor of having something unique?

I am a Forum User

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast