Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: Guns in trucks

I am a Forum User

Guns in trucks

Can a 18 year old have a long gun behind the seat of a single cab?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

MCL 750-227d

Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel either of the following:

(a) A firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(i) Taken down.

(ii) Enclosed in a case.

(iii) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(b) A pneumatic gun that expels a metallic BB or metallic pellet greater than .177 caliber unless the pneumatic gun is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(i) Taken down.

(ii) Enclosed in a case.

(iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
    A long arm may be transported by anyone that can be in legal possession of same, if it is unloaded and one other condition from the list.

It can be cased or "taken down" and carried in the passenger seat if it is also unloaded. So, if it is in a case, there is no problem putting it behind the seat.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Basically the easiest way is have it in a case?

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo9991 View Post
    Basically the easiest way is have it in a case?

Well, Yes.

But it is situational, if the vehicle has a trunk, unload it and set in the trunk.
    If it is like a break action shotgun, pop the barrel(s) off and that is all that is needed, place it anywhere.

All it needs is to be unloaded and ONE of the others:
    (i) Taken down.
    (ii) Enclosed in a case.
    (iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle

Most of us would just put it in a case and then place it as to our convenience.

Also note; there is no definition of what constitutes a "case" in Michigan law. Just about anything you can place the firearm inside of is good to go. It does NOT need to be a hard-side with locks etc. There is even a gun shop around here that has a roll of dry-cleaner type plastic bags (about 10" wide) just for the purpose of "casing" long arms. An old blanket and string fits the bill.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.