Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    Yes.
    How badly were they damaged?
    “The path of the warrior is difficult!
    We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves!
    Honor in serving!
    Honor in defending!
    Honor in dying for a just cause!”

I am a Forum User
    Yes.
    Were evidence/case numbers carved into them?

Joe

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red442joe View Post
    Were evidence/case numbers carved into them?

Joe
    Everything came back undamaged. They also seized a bunch of ammo and other gear and as far as we can tell it was all returned
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Does the law allow them to share that list to just anybody?
    I have no idea, but I would guess the answer is "no".
    I didn't want to rock the boat at the time. Also no lawyers wanted to look into it without getting paid, for some reason. No idea if there would even be any kind of action or outcome
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    In my opinion having a court procedure to temporarily take possession of firearms would be am improvement over what actually happens around SE MI. In this area police routinely steal guns from people they "believe are a threat" with no due process whatsoever and the gun owner is forced to go to court to get a judge to order the return of the firearms.

In April 2016 Dearborn PD took 29 firearms from one of my clients "pending an investigation" that he threatened a neighbor. He tried as hard as he could to get the PD to return the guns but was ignored. He finally retained me to file suit.

I filed suit MORE THAN A YEAR AFTER THE SEIZURE. Dearborn then tried to get a felony warrant from the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office to avoid having to return the firearms. When we went to court the city attorney fought hard but the judge sided with me.
    excellent job!!! I'm upset that your client even had to go through all of that.

I am a Forum User
    In my opinion having a court procedure to temporarily take possession of firearms would be am improvement over what actually happens around SE MI. In this area police routinely steal guns from people they "believe are a threat" with no due process whatsoever and the gun owner is forced to go to court to get a judge to order the return of the firearms.

In April 2016 Dearborn PD took 29 firearms from one of my clients "pending an investigation" that he threatened a neighbor. He tried as hard as he could to get the PD to return the guns but was ignored. He finally retained me to file suit.

I filed suit MORE THAN A YEAR AFTER THE SEIZURE. Dearborn then tried to get a felony warrant from the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office to avoid having to return the firearms. When we went to court the city attorney fought hard but the judge sided with me.
    So if someone gets pissed at me they can call the police and say I threatened them and the police will come and confiscate my firearms?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jwade78 View Post
    So if someone gets pissed at me they can call the police and say I threatened them and the police will come and confiscate my firearms?

Precisely what happened
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    Precisely what happened
    What's the grounds for that? How can I protect myself, what if we move out of Wayne county

Quote Originally Posted by Jwade78 View Post
    What's the grounds for that? How can I protect myself, what if we move out of Wayne county

Getting a lawyer is about the only option. The problem is more widespread in Wayne County than elsewhere but I would be willing to bet most police departments in this state have done something similar at one time or another. Which is why putting a statute in place would actually help people in my opinion.

Something like this?

"No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12