Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl?

I am a Forum User

Question Waterfowl?

So I've always been interested in getting into waterfowl hunting, but know nothing about it. Nor am I close with anyone who's really into it. I've looked at the Michigan Waterfowl Digest, but there seems like there's a lot to keep track of with regard to season dates, application dates, species, etc.

Just wondering if any of you guys do waterfowl hunt if you have any advice for a beginner. Is there one or two species that are suitable for beginners to start with? Is it possible to just buy a license/stamp for some species/hunts without applying for a drawing?

Also, are any waterfowl good eating? I've heard mixed feelings about how they taste.

TIA

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Musta Demoni View Post

Just wondering if any of you guys do waterfowl hunt if you have any advice for a beginner. Is there one or two species that are suitable for beginners to start with?
    Do you have a place to hunt?

"Waterfowl" doesn't necessarily mean ducks. Think Canada goose! You can find a field where they are eating and get permission to hunt. No boats, no dogs, and only a handful of decoys are needed. If you are where they want to be, you probably won't need to call either. If the geese are eating in a field in the evening, they will be back to the same spot the next morning. Geese are better to eat, in my opinion.

As far as ducks go, you can pass shoot them in a waterway or call them in (people hunt ducks in fields too, but I never have.) For calling them, you will need decoys and probably some waders.
    If you don't know how to call, go buy a call and watch a couple of youtube videos. Hammer on that call every time you go to or from work. After a while, you will be able to play it like a trumpet.

Is it possible to just buy a license/stamp for some species/hunts without applying for a drawing?
    Absolutely. The drawings are for the managed wildlife areas. They are EXCELLENT places to hunt. I have spent many hours in the Shiawassee River State Game Area They have opening day drawings (which you missed already) and then they draw for spots every day, morning and afternoon. The daily drawings are simply to see who gets to hunt where. They have a giant map and when your name is called you get to choose where you'd like to go. Nobody else gets to hunt there at that time. The DNR lists the number of ducks and geese taken in each spot so you know which ones are "hot." You will most likely need a boat to get to these flooded field duck smorgasbords. Some are walk in though.

When you buy a license and stamp, you can shoot any legal species of duck. I would recommend a species guidebook. You will probably see mostly mallards (colorful drakes and drab looking hens) and can shoot either, but must not shoot over the limit of either sex. The guidebook will allow you to tell the difference between a hen pintail from a hen widgeon (look for the one white feather on the wing) but most ducks are easily identifiable, even when they are flying. The same guidebook that I linked you to - I still have in my duck call ammo box! It's pretty useful.

Also, are any waterfowl good eating? I've heard mixed feelings about how they taste.
    I LOVE hunting them, calling them, shooting them, and everything about duck hunting - except eating the ducks. I think they taste like liver (not my fav.) I've even ordered duck at restaurants just to see if my preparation needed some work. Nope. Not my fav. Geese on the other hand - you get two big slabs of dark red meat that is delicious in stews, cubed and wrapped in bacon, made into jerky, or simply butterflied and cooked in a skillet. It's hard to misidentify a Canada goose, and they are a RIOT to hunt. The Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge has walk in opportunities for goose hunting, but you've missed their season this year. You still have time to hunt geese in the rest of the state though.

I'm excited for you. I hope you give it a try.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Board of Directors

I just saw that you're from Livingston County.
    I used to hunt Bennett Lake in the cattails with some success on certain days. I don't know of that's close to you or not.

I remember ice fishing on Lobdell lake one day and having a flock of geese fly overhead at a low altitude.

The next evening I was there again, enticing the bluegills until I heard the distinctive honks of the same flock, on the same route. I put down my fishing pole and picked up my Benelli. I fired three times and killed two geese, rocking the third, but it kept on flying. I laughed so hard and got a cheer from a couple of other guys that were fishing a ways away from me. THAT was a fun day!
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Jack, that's good info. And good advice to just focus first on Canadian geese. There are a lot of fields by my house where I see them all the time. It's possible that the owners may even allow me to goose hunt there. I'm going to get out the plat book and see if I can find anyone near me that might let me shoot a few geese. As for ducks, etc., I'll hold off on that.

I am a Forum User
    12 ga., a licence, some appropriate clothing and your ready. Call a guide! They are affordable, have all the equipment and decoys, dog, and good fields/water to hunt. You will have a great learning experience and if you can shoot, some ducks and geese to take home. It's quite similar to goi g salmon fishing on Lake Michigan or walleye fishing on Lake Erie... you can't go wrong going with a pro. Just my opinion

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    12 ga., a licence, some appropriate clothing and your ready. Call a guide! They are affordable, have all the equipment and decoys, dog, and good fields/water to hunt. You will have a great learning experience and if you can shoot, some ducks and geese to take home. It's quite similar to goi g salmon fishing on Lake Michigan or walleye fishing on Lake Erie... you can't go wrong going with a pro. Just my opinion
    This is actually GREAT advise. You will learn so much.
    I'm at the point in my life that it doesn't break the bank to do things like this. In my younger years, I'd spend the money on all the equipment before I'd PAY someone for the experience.

Duck hunting is a young man's game. It's WORK. This is a great idea, even for guys like me that have all the stuff.

I am a Forum User
    Okay, so I now have access to a 5 acre field. I have access because I purchased it. Anyway, it's open field, usually farmed, but wasn't this year. Nevertheless, it's right at my house, so I'm thinking of trying to shoot some geese out there once the late hunt opens. I was thinking of picking up some decoys.

Would a half dozen of these be enough to get some birds down?

Big Foot B2

Thanks.

I am a Forum User
    ???

The geese land in the farm fields to eat any grain that has fallen on the ground. If your field didn't have crops in it this year, the birds won't really want to land there. The answer to the next question is NO, you can't spread grain around either. If they have been flying over your field , you might get them too come close enough to pass shoot if you have some decoys out but don't count on them landing.

Geese are big birds and they look like they are closer than they really are. For a beginning hunter, if you can't see their eyeball, then don't shoot. You don't want to be one of those people that shoots at birds that are too far out of range.

I am a Forum User
    My advice is to go out with a guide and watch what they do and don't do. Learn from them and ask some questions.

Late season is a hard place to start learning to hunt waterfowl. Get a hold of me next season and I'll teach what I know. Been hunting geese for 20 plus years and can set you up with some pointers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast