Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

Swedish Mauser scope 3 x 9 x 50 vs 3 x 9 x 40

The scope on my Swedish Mauser sporter is mounted quite high. There is almost 1/2" clear between the bottom of the front bell on my 3 x 9 x 40 scope and the top of the barrel.
    I am considering replacing my old scope with a newer scope and thinking that a 3 x 9 x 50 might be a little brighter for the last few minutes of the evening hunt. There should be plenty of clearance for the larger front bell of the bigger scope.
    Other than the added bulk and weight of the 3 x 9 x 50 compared to 3 x 9 x 40 scope, are there any downsides that I should consider? The rifle is generally used while sitting in a blind during deer season, typically with the zoom somewhere between 3X and 6X depending on the hunt location.
    Thank you for your thoughts.

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray