Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member Forum User

Benelli Super Black Eagle 3

I love shotguns. The first gun I ever got was a shotgun (my Beretta A400 Xtreme). I've owned all kinds of them since I first started buying guns. I should note that I am an autoloader guy and not a huge fan of pump shotguns. Not that I think there is anything wrong with pumps, I am just preferential to semis. I've owned quite a few shotguns and I always like to follow the rule of B3: Beretta, Benelli, and Browning. I've owned a few Benellis: the SuperNova, M2, and the Vinci. I go through shotguns like hot cakes aside from my Beretta which is on the no-sell list. Before I got the Super Black Eagle 3 I wanted a new hunting shotgun. This time I wanted something that I'd keep. My choices came down to the Benelli Super Vinci, another M2, the new Browning A5, and the Benelli Super Black Eagle II. Mainly, I wanted an inertia shotgun (or Kinematic Drive in Browning's case).

I've handled all 4 of those shotguns before and they all fit me well. I really liked the Vinci so I knew I'd be happy with a Super Vinci, but I didn't really want to buy a gun that was almost exactly similar to one I owned already. The Super Vinci is the same gun as the Vinci except it takes 3.5" shells. Same thing with the M2. I really liked the Browning A5, but in the end I felt like that I needed one of the most legendary hunting shotguns there is. My decision at that point was to go with the Super Black Eagle II. It is essentially a 3.5" M2, but I had never owned one and as waterfowlers know it is a legendary shotgun. Unfortunately at the time the SBE2 was being phased out and the SBE3 was just released. The only SBE2s I could find were the limited additions which were almost as much as the SBE3 shotguns. Without handling one I took a dive and ordered the Super Black Eagle 3 since they were on sale at Bud's Gun Shop for $1,500.

BOX AND ACCESSORIES
    I don't know about you guys, but I like things that come in nice cases and not some plain old cardboard box. The SBE3 comes in a nice hard case. The inside is pretty simplistic. It is lined with a burlap-like liner. It comes with the gun, manual, shims, and 5 choke tubes. The chokes are 3 flush chokes and 2 extended: Cylinder, Improved Cylinder (Ext.), Mod (Ext.), Improved Mod, and Full.

FIT AND FINISH
    Fit and finish on the Super Black Eagle 3 is typical Benelli quality. Everything is very tight and and fits well. The bolt moves extremely smoothly. Everything connects together flawlessly. The one issue I have with it is I do not like how you disassemble/assemble the gun. It is similar to the Vinci/Super Vinci in that the barrel is attached to the upper receiver. But, on the Vinci/SV all you do is slide the lower over the stock nut and turn it, then slide the upper receiver/barrel over the lower and turn the front assembly nut. Easy. With the SBE3 you have to slide the barrel into the foreend then guide the upper around the bolt handle to get it back into place. It is a pain in the rear. You're really supposed to take the bolt handle out and just guide it back like that. That being said, I've seen a lot of people (myself included) who can't get the bolt handle out of the bolt so you have to guide the upper up and over. It sounds easy but is more of a pain than it sounds.

ERGONOMICS
    In regards to ergonomics, this shotgun is about perfect. The grip is extremely comfortable. The fore-end is very slim and fits in your hand nicely. If you've handled an Ethos then the SBE3 fore-end is very similar to that. The gun is also very, very light for a hunting shotgun. You pick it up and you'll be surprised. My Beretta A400 is big and feels much more brutish than the slim profile of the SBE3. The gun swings exceptionally well. The trigger guard has a nice little cut out in front so you can easily access the bolt catch. The safety is located on the back of the trigger guard and makes a nice tactile click. It also has a nice oversized bolt handle as well as a large bolt release. In terms of ergonomics I'd say it's one of the best shotguns I've handled.

TRIGGER
    The trigger on the SBE3 is very nice. I don't have a gauge to measure it, but it feels lighter than the M2, SBE2 (dry fired), Browning A5, and the Ethos. For a hunting shotgun it's a lighter trigger and about on par with the Vinci's trigger. I think the Vinci's trigger is still a tad bit better, though. I also like the trigger more on my Beretta A400.

PATTERNING
    One thing to note is that the SBE3 patters differently than Benelli's other hunting shotguns. When it first came out a lot of people complained about it patterning higher. This isn't an error with the gun itself but rather a design choice by Benelli. Their thought process was that waterfowlers lose sight of birds behind the bore since most hunting shotguns typically shoot to point of aim. The SBE3 shoots a bit higher (more like a target shotgun) so that hunters can hold under birds and not lose track of them. Some people will be bothered by this and I understand that. Personally, my Beretta is shimmed to shoot a tad high since I use it mainly as a target gun. So for me this is no big deal. But for some hunters I can see where it can be an issue and it is something that should be noted. When I patterned the SBE3 it did shoot a bit high, but not as dramatic as some people were stating it did. I patterned it with bird shot, but have not tried buck shot or seeing where it hits with slugs.

RECOIL
    Recoil on the SBE3 is very light, and I'd honestly liken it more to a gas gun than an inertia gun. Benelli's new ComfortTech 3 stock does a great job at mitigating recoil. It kicks a lot less than some gas autoloaders I've shot. It's especially surprising when you consider how light the SBE3 is. It is so light it feels like a gun that is going to jar you a bit when you shoot it but it's really kind of a joke how little the thing actually kicks. Their new CombTech system is very nice, too. It basically adds a soft chevron where you cheek sits so there's less impact on your cheek as well. Due to the low recoil it also makes follow-up shots on the gun super quick. Definitely a positive for any bird hunters.

FINAL THOUGHTS
    If you want a great all around hunting shotgun I would not hesitate to recommend the Super Black Eagle 3. I go through shotguns like crazy and this is one I don't think I want to sell. It just feels perfect. It shoots good, feels great, swings well, and the build quality is standard Benelli: exceptional. There are a few quirks I don't like, like the assembly of the gun. And again, the fact that it shoots high might be a drawback for some hunters. For me it isn't an issue, but again I could see where it would turn some away. Right now I would be hard pressed to find a better hunting shotgun.
    Last edited by Zeebz; 09-28-2018 at 12:08 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Great review. Good job.

I am a Forum User
    congrats! looks like you got yourself a great gun! great review as well!

MGO Board of Directors

Heck of a review Zeebz, nicely done, sir.

I am considering on of these as well.

I am a Forum User
    Good stuff. I love my SBE2 have been looking into the 3.