Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Long eye relief binoculars

Anybody have any experience with longer eye relief binoculars and eyeglasses? My aging eyes now have me wearing glasses full time for a few years now. I've never really had a great set of binoculars, and I don't know that I've ever really needed anything high-end. I've had my needs met with reasonably priced run of the mill binoculars, but not the cheapest thing you can buy. Now the ones that have worked fine for me in the past just have too small of an image, and don't really work well with glasses.

I primarily use these for deer hunting in Michigan. I don't plan on spending hours looking through them. I'm thinking my budgets probably around $200-300. I want something that's fairly compact to minimize the stuff I have to carry around bow hunting. I will end up leaving them in the truck if they are too big. I'm thinking probably something in 8 or 10 power. I recently purchased my first Leopold vx2 scope. I really like the image quality of that scope. I would like binoculars that are about that quality if possible. That's about the best reference I can give on image quality I would like if the price is reasonable.

I plan to look at what's available locally to try out, but I don't ever remember seeing much in the way of longer eye relief binoculars in the past. Maybe it's something certain models do better at than others, and I didn't know it.

I have looked around in a couple online sources like optic planet. There's an awful lot of options and it's difficult to work through all that. I'm thinking it might be easier to get some recommendations for well-known manufacturer and certain models that would fit my need rather than trying to Wade through 100 different options.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrema312 View Post
    Anybody have any experience with longer eye relief binoculars and eyeglasses? My aging eyes now have me wearing glasses full time for a few years now. I've never really had a great set of binoculars, and I don't know that I've ever really needed anything high-end. I've had my needs met with reasonably priced run of the mill binoculars, but not the cheapest thing you can buy. Now the ones that have worked fine for me in the past just have too small of an image, and don't really work well with glasses.

I primarily use these for deer hunting in Michigan. I don't plan on spending hours looking through them. I'm thinking my budgets probably around $200-300. I want something that's fairly compact to minimize the stuff I have to carry around bow hunting. I will end up leaving them in the truck if they are too big. I'm thinking probably something in 8 or 10 power. I recently purchased my first Leopold vx2 scope. I really like the image quality of that scope. I would like binoculars that are about that quality if possible. That's about the best reference I can give on image quality I would like if the price is reasonable.

I plan to look at what's available locally to try out, but I don't ever remember seeing much in the way of longer eye relief binoculars in the past. Maybe it's something certain models do better at than others, and I didn't know it.

I have looked around in a couple online sources like optic planet. There's an awful lot of options and it's difficult to work through all that. I'm thinking it might be easier to get some recommendations for well-known manufacturer and certain models that would fit my need rather than trying to Wade through 100 different options.
    http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...tTabs-Overview
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Name:  7540-MONARCH-3-8x42.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  10.0 KB
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Those look pretty good. I'll definitely check them out.

I am a Forum User
    I was deciding between the Nikon Monarch 7 10x30 and the Zeiss Terra ED 10x32 and although it was close, I went with the Zeiss. B&H out of New York has them for right around $300. Stay away from Leupold binos. They are lousy for their price. Modern binos have adjustable eye cups. You screw them out if you don't wear glasses and leave them in, if you do.

I am a Forum User
    I have used the Nikons for years now. Very good with glasses but it always seems better when I take my glasses off and turn in the eyepiece.

I am a Forum User
    Before I could get a chance to find a pair of monarch 3's in the store to take a look through them, a really good sale price on the camouflage version came up with a free shipping. I decided to jump on them and check them out. I figured I'd return them of I didn't like them. Haven't had much opportunity to check them out in low light, but playing around with them during the day yesterday off and on left me with a really good impression. Most of the adjustable eye cup binoculars that I've tried and the two I have need the eye cups all the way down to use without glasses to really get a full View. With the glasses I found that I don't really get a full View, and I seem to need to play around a lot will adjusting the width between eye pieces to get a decent view through them. With these Monarch 3s I easily get full view and the eye cups being adjusted out actually is what's needed without my glasses. I think these are going to work great for my needs. Thanks for the recommendation.