Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Are guns in church a good idea?

Are guns in church a good idea?

By Charita Goshay
    Cantonrep.com
    December 3rd. 2017

Rev. Michael Oyler and his wife, Rachelle, say they believe they have a moral and biblical obligation to ensure their members’ safety.

PLAIN TWP. The shootings inside a church in Charleston, S.C., two years ago planted a seed of worry in Rabbi Michael Oyler’s mind.

Nine members of Emmanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church were murdered on June 17, 2015, by Dylann Roof, a white supremacist they unwittingly invited to join their midweek Bible study.

Roof later told investigators he was trying to start a race war.

“What took place in South Carolina has always been in the back of my mind,” said Oyler, founder of Star in the East, a local Messianic Christian congregation. “It’s prompted me to be proactive.”

Oyler and his wife, Rachelle, say they believe they have a moral and biblical obligation to ensure their members’ safety.

“I think Christians have been vilified so badly; we’re ‘bigots,’ we hide behind our faith,” she said. “We’ve become targets.”

Rachelle Oyler last fall organized a concealed-carry weapons class, where 12 attendees earned certification. She carries a .38 Ruger revolver during church services.

“With the climate out there now, my husband and I felt led to be more proactive,” she said. “We should protect ourselves, but do it safely. One of the biggest problems is you can have all the training in the world, but if you don’t know how to react, you can injure a lot of people.”

A smiling Oyler admitted his wife is the better shooter. He doesn’t carry a gun. He holds black belts in karate, kabuto and shotokan.

“There’s a sort of implied pacifism by clergy and rabbis, but the Scriptures don’t support that,” he said. “The concept of the shepherd is that he’s someone who leads his flock, feeds his flock and protects his flock.”

MGO Member
    I believe having a CCW in church is an excellent idea.

I am also a believer in having designated members standing guard with CCW's acting as usher's, greeters what have you.

I am a Forum User
    Having a gun is a good idea no matter where you are.

MGO Member
    Better protection than holly water

Banned
    The water in Holly is fine.

It was FLINT that had the problem. Fyi.

MGO Member
    Guns in the hands of legal, level headed, law abiding citizen's is a good idea.

My Pastor has specifically requested that I carry a concealed pistol. I also sit in the back of the sanctuary, in a position where I am likely to be unseen by anyone entering.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Banned
    I used to sit in the back, open doors and welcome parishioners, collect the weekly tithe.
    Inquired about carrying, response was we don't feel there is a need.
    I then asked why do I have to put the collection money in a safe behind locked doors?

Mom fell off the porch shortly thereafter and haven't been back.

Quote Originally Posted by I1I1I11II View Post
    The water in Holly is fine.

It was FLINT that had the problem. Fyi.
    Smart Mouth"
    "A warped mind is a terrible thing to waste"

Quote Originally Posted by Sledhead View Post
    Better protection than holy water
    FIFY.....Can't believe it stayed up there this long.
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast