Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    From GunsAmerica:

CMP Further Clarifies the Plan for Selling 1911s

Concerning sale price of the 1911s: CMP has been selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, .22s, etc. for 21+ years and we have never taken advantage of anyone. CMP is not going to start price gouging people now with the 1911s. The 1911s will be priced at fair market value just like our M1 Garands. The CMP’s enabling legislation directs sales of items at fair market value.

Isn't "fair market value" defined as charging only what the market will bear, hence - a selling price for an item to which a buyer and seller can agree?

Sell them all for ten grand each if that's what you can get. Why wouldn't they?
    Because, unless I'm wrong on this, they are the only ones allowed to sell them to the community. Is the gov't releasing them to other entities that could help actually create a fair market value? Or, are they only releasing to the CMP which can charge what they would like because they are the only ones legally allowed to be the initial seller? If CMP only, well, that's called price fixing and is not a true fair market value.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
    Meh, I say charge what the market will bear. Life isn’t fair. I am sure there are a lot of ppl out there that want a new Mercedes but can’t afford one. Fund the endowment to it’s full potential. I don’t understand the butthurt. It seems to all be out of principle that these will be mail order only and you have to submit to 2 background checks which is a requirement outside of the CMP’s control.

If you have a Michigan CPL the 2nd check never happens, just the 4473.
    That's because nobody seems to care about what the real purpose and funding of the CMP is all about. I consider it similar to buying a $20 raffle ticket with no chance of winning because it's supporting a good cause.
    I remember when a person was only allowed ONE M1 Garand. From your constant generous offers to help people get started in HP shooting, with no takers, I guess they don't care about marksmanship training.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    If CMP only, well, that's called price fixing and is not a true fair market value.
    I agree they are stretching the truth by calling it a "fair market value". In essence, they are establishing a base price. Same as they have done with the '03's, garands, etc..

That said... I'll buy one as soon as they are available, just cuz. I hope to stumble on a garand and '03 just to put in the safe and pass on to the next generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    From GunsAmerica:

CMP Further Clarifies the Plan for Selling 1911s

Concerning sale price of the 1911s: CMP has been selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, .22s, etc. for 21+ years and we have never taken advantage of anyone. CMP is not going to start price gouging people now with the 1911s. The 1911s will be priced at fair market value just like our M1 Garands. The CMP’s enabling legislation directs sales of items at fair market value.

Isn't "fair market value" defined as charging only what the market will bear, hence - a selling price for an item to which a buyer and seller can agree?

Sell them all for ten grand each if that's what you can get. Why wouldn't they?
    Oh, so now they want to forget about the comments made on pricing them high enough that criminals can't afford them for their liquor store robberies and consequently price them "fairly".
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 12-15-2017 at 11:02 PM.

I am a Forum User
    According to Range365:

When you’re talking about guns that are this old, that have been stored this long after surviving who knows what length or intensity of Army service, very few of these 1911s are likely to be in mint condition, and most will probably have issues that need to be resolved.

That said, if any rare 1911s, like those made by Singer or US&S during the wars, will be pulled from the lots and sold on individual auction by the CMP, the story says, which is usual.

The guns in the crates may have been manufactured by Colt, Ithaca, North American, Remington Rand, Singer, UMC, and Union Switch & Signal as well as Springfield Armory. They just won’t know until they open them up.

The CMP ranks and grades the surplus M1 Garand rifles it sells, so it’s to be expected they will do something similar with the 1911s. This will dictate their price based on the market.
    So why all the hype about possibly parting with a grand or more for these 1911's?

https://www.range365.com/how-to-buy-...s-m1911-pistol

I am a Forum User
    Ok. Well, I'm thinking about doing this.

I've been trying to read up on this around the web, but I still have some unanswered questions.

It doesn't appear to be random. From what I've gathered, CMP is going to inspect and grade these just like they do their other firearms. So, does that mean you will know exactly what you're getting? I.E- brand, condition, etc?
    As far as "proof of a marksmanship program"- does CPL training actually qualify? How about my DD-214?
    And as far a membership in an organization- I take it our MGO membership cards are sufficient?

As long as they're not just going to be handing you some random piece of crap, and can at least give some indication of how it's assembled, it should be okay.
    I've got a feeling, as public pressure mounts, this entire process is going to continue to evolve, and get a little better. CMP, regardless of what many may think, does have a somewhat decent reputation on these matters. And I'm sure they will want to continue with that.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scatter View Post
    Ok. Well, I'm thinking about doing this.

I've been trying to read up on this around the web, but I still have some unanswered questions.

It doesn't appear to be random. From what I've gathered, CMP is going to inspect and grade these just like they do their other firearms. So, does that mean you will know exactly what you're getting? I.E- brand, condition, etc?
    As far as "proof of a marksmanship program"- does CPL training actually qualify? How about my DD-214?
    And as far a membership in an organization- I take it our MGO membership cards are sufficient?

As long as they're not just going to be handing you some random piece of crap, and can at least give some indication of how it's assembled, it should be okay.
    I've got a feeling, as public pressure mounts, this entire process is going to continue to evolve, and get a little better. CMP, regardless of what many may think, does have a somewhat decent reputation on these matters. And I'm sure they will want to continue with that.
    The first batch of 1911's coming from the Army to the CMP will be all condition code "A" or "B" so these are the nicest that the Army has in inventory currently. The CMP will still probably go through each one to verify serial numbers and manufacturer and condition. All of the rare manufacturers will most definitely go to auction to bring the most money for the CMP, such as US&S, Rem UMC, Springfield, or RIA/Augusta renumbers, as well as any of the USN/USMC specific ones. The serial number list is already done for what is being transferred to the CMP, it is just a paperwork process currently until CMP picks up the 1911's and starts cataloging and processing.
    Jason Ebig
    L & L Arms LLC
    586-321-6056
    01 FFL & Class 3 SOT Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by scatter View Post
    Ok.
    <-snip->
    Yes and Yes and Yes.
    Your CPL counts, so does proof of past Military Service: Eligibility Requirements - CMP

And, MGO is currently an affiliated organization. You will have to search, but it is listed: The CMP do=clubSearch Just search the words "Michigan Gun" and the State of Michigan.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I sent in a 1911 application, still waiting on a number. Has anyone here received their number or gotten a CMP 1911 yet?

I am a Forum User
    This threads over a year old, pry shoulda’ just started a new one. But to answer your question, yes I’m #3573. I expect to be hearing from them any time. People in the low 3,000’s are getting calls now.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast