Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    MGO Member
    Ah, cool, CPL covers it, Thank you Roundballer

They are setting the price at $1,000 or higher to make sure the pistols are bought by 'collectors' who would 'never use them to rob a liquor store'. The best grade weapons will be sent to auction. So, what you're left with is the bottom of the barrel pistols that will not have matching serial numbers and will be Ike Turner'd to death.
    In other words, they are pricing them too high for most people to buy them. The ones that do have the money for it would be paying 3x what they are worth.
    I hope this blows up in CMP's face. I have lost all respect for that organization.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

I am a Forum User
    My opinion here...

They should strictly follow the law, not create their own policies in addition to the law. If these would otherwise be C&R qualified, then they should treat them that way.

That said, as far as pricing goes, CMP should be selling these for whatever the market deems to be reasonable, with the qualifications to purchase being the same they have always been. They should not be clearing these out at rock bottom prices. Simply put, CMP does the shooting sports a lot of good, and the supply of surplus firearms, for which they sell to fund their operations, is quickly drying up. These M1911's are likely to be the last "new" addition to the items which they may sell. MAYBE sniper rifles in quantity some day, but I doubt it. Wouldn't hold my breath on M9's or M11's ("high capacity" and "modern")... and you can bet the farm that M14's and M16's won't make it to CMP either. So, they need to get whatever the market will give for the items they are selling now.

Quote Originally Posted by DP425 View Post
    My opinion here...

They should strictly follow the law, not create their own policies in addition to the law. If these would otherwise be C&R qualified, then they should treat them that way.

That said, as far as pricing goes, CMP should be selling these for whatever the market deems to be reasonable, with the qualifications to purchase being the same they have always been. They should not be clearing these out at rock bottom prices. Simply put, CMP does the shooting sports a lot of good, and the supply of surplus firearms, for which they sell to fund their operations, is quickly drying up. These M1911's are likely to be the last "new" addition to the items which they may sell. MAYBE sniper rifles in quantity some day, but I doubt it. Wouldn't hold my breath on M9's or M11's ("high capacity" and "modern")... and you can bet the farm that M14's and M16's won't make it to CMP either. So, they need to get whatever the market will give for the items they are selling now.
    Steve Cooper, General Manager CMP North, "“Even though they may be shot out or busted up, we don’t want them falling into the hands of people who will just leave them in a glove box,” Cooper told The Gun Writer. “We want a perceived value — more of an heirloom. We don’t want them considered a standard sidearm. All we need is to have someone commit a liquor store robbery with one and then we’ll be held accountable.”
    Smacks of the same liberal logic of making someone wait 7 days before they can buy a firearm; keep magazine capacity at less than X number of rounds; don't let bumpstocks remain legal; etc... Pricing that busted up 1911 at $1,500 doesn't mean it can't e stolen and used in a robbery. The 1911 is my favorite pistol and I love taking them apart; shooting; and tweaking them. A gun like this would be perfect for someone to learn the ropes of 1911s. But, when a RIA brand new is 1/3 the price-- you get the idea.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

MGO Member
    So what I'm hearing is punt on this idea and go buy a Dan Wesson?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2340ACP View Post
    So what I'm hearing is punt on this idea and go buy a Dan Wesson?
    I'd buy a DW or used Baer before one of these.
    And that's too bad. I really wanted to get my hands on one and make it safe queen.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterspirit View Post
    *** the CMP

They have turned into the typical government bureaucracy that we all know & love.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

MGO Member
    SO my question from looking at the other side of the fence, since I know enough to be dangerous about the CMP's operating agreement.....

The CMP uses the finds form all surplus sales to further fund the program which teaches marksmanship to civilians.
    They are bound by contract by the .GOV to follow certain rules and requirements, regardless of personal feeling of the masses.
    In today's society, they need to be aware of both sides of how the public views citizens buying surplus military firearms from a government entity.

And before anyone assumes, I totally agree that they are typical bureaucracy, but at least they are providing an avenue to acquire these surplus items instead of having uncle sugar destroy them like the do daily with M16s with captain crunch, which is disgusting. I am in no way agreeing with the whole process, but the CMP generally has done more good for us than a lot of other entities has.

So should they sell these for dirt cheap prices and not try to fund the organization as well as possible to ensure that they are not around long enough to do any good, disregard what the .gov contract says, and sell these over the counter with no proof of id, or the regular requirements that have been in place for all CMP firearm purchases?

Although I do agree that 2 NICS checks is dumb, if they are now going to be a 01 FFL, then just follow the procedure of all other 01 FFL's and verify the receiving FFL's status and ship the damn thing. Maybe if everyone is all twisted up about this, we should just write letters to our congressman that the hassle is too great for purchasing these, and that they should simply melt these down as we are not interested in buying them, and their is no way that these will sell out in a matter of hours, given that the 10,000 quantity is way more than the amount of firearm collectors looking to buy them, let alone the random guy that will probably shoot the crap about it, or use it as a start for a dream custom/refurb pistol by his favorite builder.

I'm not trying to piss in cheerios, but I guess I am just reading a lot of forums that folks are bitching about the bad, and not looking at the good of this whole scenario, kinda millenialish to me....why can't it get one for cheap and easy by just buying online and having it shipped to my door like the rifles are, and why can't the C&R work to buy them, even though their is a majority of these that are not C&R eligible. Why can't the CMP search every one to determine the serial number and see when it was originally made and then make separate categories of them to the C&R guys and track all that and be able to verify a C&R through ATF's EZcheck...(which you can't). I'll probably be the bad guy on this, but I guess my inner old crabby man just sees a lot of bitching about what should be a good thing. I personally gave up on getting one of these based upon the details surrounding everything, but can respect that they are at least able to do it. I chose to skip this, and buy other new toys instead to make my holiday guntime brighter.
    Jason Ebig
    L & L Arms LLC
    586-321-6056
    01 FFL & Class 3 SOT Dealer

I am a Forum User
    I'm all for what they're doing, but the rules surrounding the sale of them not to mention the price (and the statement surrounding the pricing method) are very off putting to me. Most of all of that screams "IM a FUDD and I don't want the masses owning a gun that you can put 'high capacity' clipazines in so you can go with your gangbangers and rob a liquor store". What criminal would purposely seek out the CMP to purchase a 1911.. Must be the same ones who went through all the troubles of creating a Trust so they could get a suppressor to help rob said liquor store?

I kind of wanted one because my grandfather was in WWII. I'm not much of a collector and would want to use it from time to time and to own a piece of history, but at $1000+, I'll just go buy a new 1911...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast