Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar

EER Scope recommendation for a .22?

I just ordered a Ruger Silent-SR 10/22 TD integrally suppressed upper. These suppressors bleed off gas just like the MP5SD and will be subsonic with standard velocity ammo. They are also extremely accurate with one-hole groups at 50 yards easily doable.

The only downside to this setup is the lack of a really tight lockup between the barrel and the receiver and the fact that the optics are mounted to the receiver not the barrel. I am concerned that the precision I am looking for will not be possible with this setup. I want to very quietly be able to take headshots on squirrels at 50 yards.

My solution is to have a gunsmith affix a Picatinny rail to the barrel and put an EER scope on it. Anyone have a good suggestion on what glass to use? Not really concerned on price for this one.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I really like Leupold for most of my guns. How about their FX-II Scout 2.5x28. Only 2.5 but should be good for 50 yards.

Link https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...t-ier-2-5x28mm

You do realize any looseness in the barrel receiver fit will show as a canting of the barrel/scope which will likely result in more variation in POI then having a sight fixed in a 12 O'clock position. Also, there are video's on the web showing how to tighten the receiver/barrel connection if yours does ever loosen or go out of alinement.

Opinion, I'd mount on the receiver as it comes and keep a eye out when shooting at the range for any apparent change in POI.

BTW, All std velocity 22lr ammo is subsonic plus, almost all match ammo is std velocity-sub sonic. Anything under 1100 fps is considered std velocity by the manufactures.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    You do realize any looseness in the barrel receiver fit will show as a canting of the barrel/scope which will likely result in more variation in POI then having a sight fixed in a 12 O'clock position. Also, there are video's on the web showing how to tighten the receiver/barrel connection if yours does ever loosen or go out of alinement.

Opinion, I'd mount on the receiver as it comes and keep a eye out when shooting at the range for any apparent change in POI.

BTW, All std velocity 22lr ammo is subsonic plus, almost all match ammo is std velocity-sub sonic. Anything under 1100 fps is considered std velocity by the manufactures.
    Standard velocity is subsonic in a pistol not a rifle.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    CCI Standard velocity is subsonic out of my 16" barrels.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    Standard velocity is subsonic in a pistol, not or a target rifle with a barrel over about 19~20", but not the regular carbines with 16" barrels.
    Just the way it is.

And you actually want it to be subsonic for accuracy.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

RB, find a std velocity that claims to shoot over 1100 fps, the vast majority run ~1050 fps or so from a rifle. Most run ~950 fps or less from a pistol if clocked. The speed of sound is 1125fps @68 degrees /sea level. True from what I've been told, peak 22lr velocity is normally reached in a 16-18" barrel after which is slowly starts to drop.
    Speed is stated on the end flap of the box on all 22 ammo and should be the results from a optimum length barrel, I have found them to be very close in the few I have crono'ed in the past from 18 & 20" tubes when averaged..

Thought. I've noticed a awful lot of semi-auto RIFLES that refuse to function on some of the std velocity ammo brands and, I believe almost all won't function reliably with the "pistol" rated or "Quite" type ammo that runs ~900fps or less. Some shooters I have witnessed have experienced stuck bullets from this type of ammo in their autoloader rifles too. If you plan on hunting with this rifle I would be sure to check the ammo you plan to use in it well before heading to the field. My own 10-22 with a Benz chambered 20" Walther barrel functions fine with almost all std vel and target ammo, but gave problems with Aguila "subsonic" labeled ammo. Then too as you know, every gun is a rule onto itself...YMMV
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    You may be able to avoid the EER.
    Not sure how the top tube of the SR-10/22 TD is made, but you may be able to use a barrel mounted Cantilever scope mount, that comes back, over the receiver. As in Browning SA-22, and a couple others.
    Here is a modern version to check out:
    https://adaptivetactical.com/collect...ger-10-22-rail

Years ago, I mounted the Browning cantilever mount on a Remington Nylon 66 barrel. They are famous for not taking a scope well, because of the stamped steel receiver covers.

I am a Forum User
    Hey Shyster:

Check out this scope:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold...lex-scope.html

A Bit pricey, watch the eye relief on the high power but you should be ok with a rimfire.

I have one on my 3006 Garand shuffy's special-an engineered shorter barreled tanker that I use for both competition (without scope) and deer hunting (with scope). I am in Lansing if you want to stop by and check it out.

I really like the scope and I do appreciate fine optics.

Regards,
    Crankster
    Last edited by crankythunder; 01-01-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: misspellings added to verify authorship by engineer

I am a Forum User
    another option..
    though not as expensive as a Leupold, I bought the scope in the attached link for my 18" M1A & believe it would suit your needs for 50 yard shooting..
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews...-ler27x32.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast