Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BPS View Post
    The only victims are the ones getting shot by stolen firearm not secured properly by irrresponsibls gun owners

By your logic I shouldn’t have to wear my seat belt because my vehicle is my property and i didn’t give you permission to smash into me..
    HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAH you are so out of touch with reality it isn't even funny. I laughed anyways.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    family

I am a Forum User
    There are many victims here who witness the killing of English grammar and theft of proper punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by Danco411 View Post
    I would only hope a robber would be like you. Yes my dogs would roll over for a belly rub if you gave them a hot dog. LOL They are loud but not killers. All my guns..**** everything I own can be replaced but not my dogs.
    " For The Win!!!"
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

I am a Forum User
    http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...e_firearm.html

Well, that's how. They just walk out with the safe.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSchaine View Post
    http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...e_firearm.html

Well, that's how. They just walk out with the safe.
    (from the article) "A large Sentinel gun safe, holding multiple firearms, ammunition and personal items, was stolen. Archery equipment and tools were also taken.
    A black Hummer H3 was seen driving in the area around the time of the break-in."

The thieves were in a Hummer H3? That will be an easy crime to solve; just wait for the H3 to break down... LoL...

Late addition to this thread:
    1). Yes, firearms should never be left unattended or unlocked WHEN AVOIDABLE. Any responsible gun owner should be aware of this. Houses are not impenetrable, so leaving a lot of firearms out where they can be easily found IS fairly irresponsible IMHO. Somebody here mentioned a well hidden yet accessible firearm. OK, while those two constraints are not always inclusive, at least an effort is made to hide what remains out of the safe to be a self defense/go to gun in the residence in case of assault. But really, the gun I carry every day is THAT gun for me when I am home. And, since it is with me and on me all the time, when I leave to buy a loaf of bread or a 6 of beer, possible theft at home is never an issue for it.
    Sorry, but my handgun is forced to be left in the car when I have to go into a gun free zone, so if it gets stolen from that kind of a location, that would be one of those "unavoidable" thefts since I carry every day, every where it is legally possible. No, a little lock box bolted to the floor will not prevent a determined thief either. If anything, that lockbox (if visible) may telegraph to them that you actually have a gun in the car in the first place.
    2). A "gun safe" has to be the biggest/best/thickest metal/well locked container that one can afford. Think of it this way too, it you own $20,000-$30,000 worth of guns, how does having a safe which only costs $400 make any sense? It should also be heavy enough that taking the whole safe from the house is pretty much impossible. IT MUST (minimally) be bolted to the floor and access to all sides of it should be limited by its location in the house if possible. If you can't limit 3 sides access, then 2 sides is the next best choice (like the corner of a basement, etc...). BUT, if even the biggest/baddest/heaviest/dynamite-proof/fire rated safe is left unbolted to the floor, and it can be knocked over on its side or back, there is NO WAY to ensure it will not be compromised if the thief has enough time to do so. The most common way a safe is "cut into" is with a simple axe and, it's usually YOUR AXE (taken from your garage or tool shed) that is used to open it up. But, a thief who knows you have a gun safe and is there specifically for it, will likely bring his own tools (namely large steel spuds to be used as giant pry bars) to open the front door of the safe, which is surprisingly easy and QUICK to do IF they can get the safe tipped over onto its back/side. (See point #3)
    People have mentioned security systems, and those are great items to help eliminate the "time" that a thief will need to compromise ANY safe. even if they don't go directly to the cop-shop, a cruiser will usually be at your house in enough time once the alarm has been tripped that a decent quality safe has not been compromised.
    3). Preventative measure; KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT about how many guns you own and IF you even own a safe! Besides close family and "maybe" trusted friends, NOBODY needs to know the extent of your arsenal. Most people are very protective about how much money they make or what is the balance of their savings accounts. Well, a gun collection IS a savings account on many different levels; monetarily, life saving and Liberty saving. This information should be as closely guarded as the former usually is. If this privacy gets compromised, you are opening yourself up for nefarious activity, no matter how many guns you own. Loose lips sink ships...

Quote Originally Posted by Iamero View Post
    Edit: Whew, this one got off to an interesting start! Didn't think this one would have resorted to this level of intensity. Well, sit back and enjoy the show or share your opinion, that's what freedom of speech is for anyways (and so easily enhanced by the internet!).

I always wondered that with all these stolen guns. I get if they bust your window in your car when you’re out and about, but if you keep a gun in your car overnight and they bust the window and steal it, I don’t feel too bad for you.

But the ones stolen from homes, are these just laying around or in like 15lb stack on safes? My safe alone is 650lbs so unless they are torching that sucker open, they aren’t walking away with it.

Get a couple dogs, and that’s just another layer of protection haha.

I more posted this not to criticize others, but to keep myself and my firearms protected. I want to know if I’m not thinking of something that makes them more vulnerable than anticiped.

I get what happens with mail carrier and porch theft, that just pisses me off.
    your 650 lb safe can be busted open with a 6 ft pry bar pretty easy, a torch, or grinder even easier.

They are not walking away with the safe.

Never mind picking a lock is very easy.

You can pick the lock, and if you have slings or their bring a hockey duffle back, or two guys, they can clean out 10 guns each person easy and be out of your house in 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    You can stay married & still have unprotected sex.
    LMAO, best one-liner yet and no purple font needed!

Quote Originally Posted by 50 BMG View Post
    (from the article) "A large Sentinel gun safe, holding multiple firearms, ammunition and personal items, was stolen. Archery equipment and tools were also taken.
    A black Hummer H3 was seen driving in the area around the time of the break-in."

The thieves were in a Hummer H3? That will be an easy crime to solve; just wait for the H3 to break down... LoL...

Late addition to this thread:
    1). Yes, firearms should never be left unattended or unlocked WHEN AVOIDABLE. Any responsible gun owner should be aware of this. Houses are not impenetrable, so leaving a lot of firearms out where they can be easily found IS fairly irresponsible IMHO. Somebody here mentioned a well hidden yet accessible firearm. OK, while those two constraints are not always inclusive, at least an effort is made to hide what remains out of the safe to be a self defense/go to gun in the residence in case of assault. But really, the gun I carry every day is THAT gun for me when I am home. And, since it is with me and on me all the time, when I leave to buy a loaf of bread or a 6 of beer, possible theft at home is never an issue for it.
    Sorry, but my handgun is forced to be left in the car when I have to go into a gun free zone, so if it gets stolen from that kind of a location, that would be one of those "unavoidable" thefts since I carry every day, every where it is legally possible. No, a little lock box bolted to the floor will not prevent a determined thief either. If anything, that lockbox (if visible) may telegraph to them that you actually have a gun in the car in the first place.
    2). A "gun safe" has to be the biggest/best/thickest metal/well locked container that one can afford. Think of it this way too, it you own $20,000-$30,000 worth of guns, how does having a safe which only costs $400 make any sense? It should also be heavy enough that taking the whole safe from the house is pretty much impossible. IT MUST (minimally) be bolted to the floor and access to all sides of it should be limited by its location in the house if possible. If you can't limit 3 sides access, then 2 sides is the next best choice (like the corner of a basement, etc...). BUT, if even the biggest/baddest/heaviest/dynamite-proof/fire rated safe is left unbolted to the floor, and it can be knocked over on its side or back, there is NO WAY to ensure it will not be compromised if the thief has enough time to do so. The most common way a safe is "cut into" is with a simple axe and, it's usually YOUR AXE (taken from your garage or tool shed) that is used to open it up. But, a thief who knows you have a gun safe and is there specifically for it, will likely bring his own tools (namely large steel spuds to be used as giant pry bars) to open the front door of the safe, which is surprisingly easy and QUICK to do IF they can get the safe tipped over onto its back/side. (See point #3)
    People have mentioned security systems, and those are great items to help eliminate the "time" that a thief will need to compromise ANY safe. even if they don't go directly to the cop-shop, a cruiser will usually be at your house in enough time once the alarm has been tripped that a decent quality safe has not been compromised.
    3). Preventative measure; KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT about how many guns you own and IF you even own a safe! Besides close family and "maybe" trusted friends, NOBODY needs to know the extent of your arsenal. Most people are very protective about how much money they make or what is the balance of their savings accounts. Well, a gun collection IS a savings account on many different levels; monetarily, life saving and Liberty saving. This information should be as closely guarded as the former usually is. If this privacy gets compromised, you are opening yourself up for nefarious activity, no matter how many guns you own. Loose lips sink ships...
    So, are you saying that having my 'not in a vault gun' stolen from inside my deadbolt locked/steel door home is MY fault, but your gun stolen from inside your car in a gun free zone is NOT your fault? Hmmm...
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by costanza View Post
    So, are you saying that having my 'not in a vault gun' stolen from inside my deadbolt locked/steel door home is MY fault, but your gun stolen from inside your car in a gun free zone is NOT your fault? Hmmm...
    No, not necessarily...
    The gun that you leave unlocked for use in the house or wherever you live would be the same thing as the gun I am forced to leave in my car when I have to go into a ridiculous gun free zone. That is a similar "unavoidable" circumstance because I do think you SHOULD have a gun available for use in the home.
    Should that gun be locked up when you leave the house if it is not your daily carry gun (like mine in house gun is)? Probably...
    The point I was trying to make was this; having one defensive gun stolen from a home,car, etc... is not like losing a dozen or more guns that are left unlocked in a home when you leave and they are also not hidden very well (the back of the closet or under a bed is not a hiding place).

I know guys who do not even own a gun safe and they own dozens of firearms! But, where they keep their guns hidden would not be found without 1). the thief knowing exactly where they are (and they are in multiple locations throughout the house) Or, 2). they used a wrecking bar and a sledge hammer to just start tearing down everything in the house. Almost 100% of thieves are not going to demolish walls/ceilings/furniture of a house looking for money, guns, or anything valuable... They may flip stuff over and dump drawers, but anything else takes too much time for most residential locations.
    Now, if you live in the country and 100's of yards or even MILES away from anyone, and you leave town for a period of time and the criminal somehow knows that fact, they may spend a week in your house dismantling everything. At the point, even a "good" gun safe will probably be compromised...

Do you leave big wads of money, valuable jewelry, gold bars/coins, etc... in an underwear drawer when you leave the house, especially for extended vacations?
    Last edited by 50 BMG; 04-30-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: add-on

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast