Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Congress should force states to honor gun rights

Congress should use constitutional power to force states to honor gun rights

By David Kopel and Joseph Greenlee
    The Hill
    December 31st. 2017

A few weeks ago, the House of Representatives passed the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 with bipartisan support. The Act would allow persons eligible to carry a concealed firearm in their home state to carry in other states as well. Opponents contend that the Act violates federalism. Actually, the Act is well within congressional powers under the Fourteenth Amendment. That Amendment was enacted specifically to give Congress the power to act against state infringements of national civil rights.

Section one of the 14th Amendment forbids states to violate civil rights. Section five of the Amendment grants Congress “the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.” Enacted during Reconstruction, the Fourteenth Amendment was a remedy to ex-Confederate states denying freedmen the right to arms and other civil rights.

One of the civil rights protected by Concealed Carry Reciprocity is the right to interstate travel. It is “a virtually unconditional personal right, guaranteed by the Constitution to us all,” the Supreme Court said in Sáenz v. Roe (1999). The Sáenz court explained that travelers have the “right to be treated as a welcome visitor rather than an unfriendly alien when temporarily present in the second state.”

MGO Member
    Need to copy this and send to Debbie and the other guy..

Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post
    Need to copy this and send to Debbie and the other guy..
    Good luck with that. Every time I have emailed them they respond that they agree with our 2nd amendment rights, but restraints are necessary to protect us. If they had their way, they would restrain us all the way to a total gun ban. They are both as anti gun as can be. They need to go.

I am a Forum User
    the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Pretty sure that telling me how I can bear arms and where I can bear them is infringement. All the while charging me fees for a license to do so , that seems to be another infringement.

Just follow the Constitution, thats all I ask.

I am a Forum User
    Congress doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to carry this through. It isn't just this issue or this current point in time that congress won't make a stand, at least while the "republicans" have the majority. They won't step up and make the tough decisions to free the people from the shackles of government.