Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: War era P.38

War era P.38

My father-in-law passed a few weeks back. Mom is trying to get a handle on his firearms collection.

I've tried a little Google-**, but am unable to hit upon an approximate value for this. Would appreciate any help/advice. Thank you.

Pop has had this thing forever. If I understand correctly he acquired it in Korea when he was stationed there.

Nazi marked Walther P.38, 9mm, has a leather holster with a bullet hole that leads one to suspect a previous owner may have developed a sudden bad limp.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    My father-in-law passed a few weeks back. Mom is trying to get a handle on his firearms collection.

I've tried a little Google-**, but am unable to hit upon an approximate value for this. Would appreciate any help/advice. Thank you.

Pop has had this thing forever. If I understand correctly he acquired it in Korea when he was stationed there.

Nazi marked Walther P.38, 9mm, has a leather holster with a bullet hole that leads one to suspect a previous owner may have developed a sudden bad limp.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
    man that's pretty.
    The way those distances line up suggest maybe somebody should have kept their finger out of the trigger guard while reholstering...
    No idea on value, but I like it and I want one like it some day.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    man that's pretty.
    The way those distances line up suggest maybe somebody should have kept their finger out of the trigger guard while reholstering...
    No idea on value, but I like it and I want one like it some day.
    I'm hoping Mom gives the gun to me. I'd never ask, but Dad cherished it, showed it off to me often, and I'd love to keep it in a display box along with a couple of his Army pic's and one of the brass casings from the honor guard salute at his funeral.

But, if Mom decides to sell it I want her to get what it's worth.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

I'm hoping Mom gives the gun to me. I'd never ask, but Dad cherished it, showed it off to me often, and I'd love to keep it in a display box along with a couple of his Army pic's and one of the brass casings from the honor guard salute at his funeral.

But, if Mom decides to sell it I want her to get what it's worth.
    I know you have kids already, but are you looking for an adult kid to adopt? i'm mostly self sufficient.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Your 'byf 42' P.38 is more valuable than the run of the mill wartime P.38. Although it was actually finished by Mauser in 1943, the slide code says that your pistole was among the first made by the Mauser Oberndorf an Necker factory after they shut down P.08 production. The pistol's slide was actually finished during December 1942. The hard shell holster also appears to be correct. Some of these pistols were fitted with Walther (Wa359) marked magazines as they came from the factory. Mauser also used some Walther small parts in their initial production lots of P.38s.

Assuming matching numbers and a decent bore (uncommon on these pistols), you should be asking more than $ 1,000. Not certain how much more because these pistols are rarely offered for sale. Most were lost on the Eastern Front. Yours does not appear to be a 'Russian Capture', another value bonus.

10x25mm, thank you, Sir!

That is a sweet specimen.
    And , as I'm sure you would agree, there is really no dollar value to owning something your dad (even an in-law) cherished.

However...
    I'm no expert, but the black grips can help paint a fuller picture if you check out the markings on the backsides.

This site has great info on JUST the grips.

http://www.p38guns.com/Gripinfo.htm

I hope she gives it to you.

I'm hoping Mom gives the gun to me. I'd never ask, but Dad cherished it,
    Ask her for it anyway. I asked my dad for his M1 1911 A1, and have it in my safe.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

In good condition I'm thinking the value retail would be around $700.00.

Maybe mom doesn't think you would want to have an old gun. Ask first. You might be surprised.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    I agree around 700. The hole in the holster hurts the value of the holster. Most p38 I have seen, And I have seen many are in good condition with good bores. Most were not shot much. They were a side arm NOT a main battle weapon.