Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    I am a Forum User
    Crazy thread! LOL

Eric since you don't have a CPL and do not plan on having it loaded in your vehicle as a pistol it really does not matter what length it is. If you put a 12" barrel on it with a brace you can still register it as a pistol if your not going to conceal it loaded. If you have a CPL and want to carry it loaded in your car then make sure it is under 26" OAL. The best way to insure that is by using a 10.5" or shorter barrel and a standard carbine length pistol buffer tube. No measuring necessary because that configuration as stated above comes in at 24.5". It's not rocket science and although most legal definitions are by nature ambiguous I am not aware of anyone who ever was arrested or had their MI Pistol AR confiscated for being to long or too short.

The best way for non CPL holders to buy an AR pistol is to buy one from an FFL. They will complete the 4473 and fill out the RI-60 and your good to go. If you have a CPL just buy or assemble your pistol and send in the RI-60. Since your not a CPL holder by buying the lower and upper separate you had to go the RI-10 route which is the hardest route although not horribly difficult. The lower receiver either stripped or assembled is the only part with a serial number. There is no federal registry for rifles so when you buy a lower the FFL checks "other" and in the manufacturer section lists the manufacturer, model, serial and in type the list "receiver" and in caliber "multi". If you don't have a CPL the FFL must run an NICS background check on you. Once cleared to proceed the NICS number is listed on the 4473. 4473's stay with the FFL holder and are not shared with the ATF so the serial number is not registered. Rifles are not register by the state either. Only handguns are registered with the state through the RI-60 or RI-10. So you did not buy a pistol lower in any legal concept. You bought a lower that was configured to be made into a pistol because it had a pistol buffer tube and/or brace. It is still sold as a standard lower and can be configured any way you want. It is only when you send in the RI-60 to Michigan that it becomes registered as a pistol. Once it is registered as a pistol you can treat it like any other pistol including concealing it if you have a CPL. You can also take off the short upper and put a 16" barreled upper on it and a stock and use it as a rifle. It does not need to stay in pistol form but you should never have the short upper and stock together because it is then an SBR.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Danco411 View Post
    Crazy thread! LOL

Eric since you don't have a CPL and do not plan on having it loaded in your vehicle as a pistol it really does not matter what length it is. If you put a 12" barrel on it with a brace you can still register it as a pistol if your not going to conceal it loaded. If you have a CPL and want to carry it loaded in your car then make sure it is under 26" OAL. The best way to insure that is by using a 10.5" or shorter barrel and a standard carbine length pistol buffer tube. No measuring necessary because that configuration as stated above comes in at 24.5". It's not rocket science and although most legal definitions are by nature ambiguous I am not aware of anyone who ever was arrested or had their MI Pistol AR confiscated for being to long or too short.

The best way for non CPL holders to buy an AR pistol is to buy one from an FFL. They will complete the 4473 and fill out the RI-60 and your good to go. If you have a CPL just buy or assemble your pistol and send in the RI-60. Since your not a CPL holder by buying the lower and upper separate you had to go the RI-10 route which is the hardest route although not horribly difficult. The lower receiver either stripped or assembled is the only part with a serial number. There is no federal registry for rifles so when you buy a lower the FFL checks "other" and in the manufacturer section lists the manufacturer, model, serial and in type the list "receiver" and in caliber "multi". If you don't have a CPL the FFL must run an NICS background check on you. Once cleared to proceed the NICS number is listed on the 4473. 4473's stay with the FFL holder and are not shared with the ATF so the serial number is not registered. Rifles are not register by the state either. Only handguns are registered with the state through the RI-60 or RI-10. So you did not buy a pistol lower in any legal concept. You bought a lower that was configured to be made into a pistol because it had a pistol buffer tube and/or brace. It is still sold as a standard lower and can be configured any way you want. It is only when you send in the RI-60 to Michigan that it becomes registered as a pistol. Once it is registered as a pistol you can treat it like any other pistol including concealing it if you have a CPL. You can also take off the short upper and put a 16" barreled upper on it and a stock and use it as a rifle. It does not need to stay in pistol form but you should never have the short upper and stock together because it is then an SBR.

My main concern is how a LEO or Judge may interpret how "OAL" is measured. Mine is 25" end of barrel threads to end of buffer tube. My issue is my hand guard which extends past my barrel which brings "OAL" >26". Also, my brace is not easily removed. The SB Tactical brace is on dam tight and I would need a vise to remove it. I just don't want to be challenged in court and venture down that financial avenue. So this is why I would never carry it concealed.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213