Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

357AR 357Max-Rimless

late 2011 after hunting season I had gathered enough parts for a build I wanted to try out. An AR15 in 357Max only without the rim. I had a cheap $30 357/38 barrel blank, barrel extension, spare upper, BCG and enough extra parts to finish up an upper. Didn't want to pay for a custom reamer to test it out in case it didn't work out. A standard 357Max reamer cuts a leade starting at the case mouth so you can also shoot shorter 38 and 357 ammo. Since this would be headspacing off of the case mouth I needed a reamer that would cut a case mouth step. After making a few dummy rounds a reamer print was made and from the reamer print I machined a reamer on my lathe and mill. Standard 357Max head space gauges will not work. Being a straight walled case the headspace gauges are easy to make as they can be as simple as a cylinder of a certain length, but an extractor groove makes them more usable. Cut the chamber and installed the barrel extension verifying headspace. The feed ramps were opened up with a 3/8" carbide ball end mill, but I've since gone to a modified center feed type. The magazines need the bullet guides removed from the front of the mag so the cases can double stack which is easy to do on Pmags using a dremel and a sanding drum. The test barrel went well and cycled several different bullet types so the test barrel was sectioned and a new GMB .358" 1:14" blank was purchased for a better build.

Last edited by Moleman-; 01-14-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Still couldn't use them in the Limited zone for deer just yet but I went ahead and made a nicer rifle and enjoyed shooting it. Made a pistol in it and used it during the 2013 deer season, but saw no deer within range so I didn't get to try it out. 2014 the straight walled case regulation came to be and since I already had a 357AR rifle I used it with a 180gr Hornady SSP at around 2220 FPS. Hunting public land I ended up getting a 6pt at 60yds broadside. The deer stumbled in a half circle and dropped.

Last edited by Moleman-; 01-12-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Ended up making a 357AR rifle for my son. Used an 80% lower and had it engraved with the outline of Michigan with a deer skull with antlers superimposed in it. He wanted his rifle to be flat dark earth so it was Gunkoted that color. 2015 he used it to take a doe at 142yds (lasered) with a 180gr Hornady SSP at 2140fps. Broadside angling slighty away and broke the opposite shoulder on the way out. Deer did the 30yd dash and dropped.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/yO...K=w659-h612-no

Last edited by Moleman-; 01-13-2018 at 07:04 PM.

He's continued to use his 357AR rifle during the 2016 and 2017 seasons. Here's a doe he got on 12/30 at about zero degrees. It was -6 by the time we got back to the truck so no good pics. Doe was at about 80-90 yards (rangefinder lcd froze) towards him. Using the same 180SSP at 2140fps he double lunged the doe and it ran to the edge of the woods and dropped. I had him set up about 150 yards away from the woods in a lay down goose blind covered with snow. Only his orange hat was sticking out which the deer saw but weren't spooked by it. The last three years I've been hunting with a few 44 wildcats.

Last edited by Moleman-; 01-13-2018 at 06:55 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Did you turn off the rims of .357 Maximum cases or open up the necks of .223 Remington cases?

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Did you turn off the rims of .357 Maximum cases or open up the necks of .223 Remington cases?
    All the cases in the pics so far started off as once fired 223 or 5.56 cases. I made a couple expander stems that helped expand the case, but they're basically M die stems. Starline recently made a run of 223 straight walled cases that only need trimmed to length and reamed with a .355" reamer. The starline cases are much easier to work with and are $90 for 250 cases. I bought one box of them but I'm thinking about replacing all of my cases with them so they're all the same. The first batch sold out in a day or two after the other guys with 357AR's heard about it so they're making another run of them next month. In the past I had helped a few guys make a 357AR and some used 357Max cases with the rim turned off. Here's a pic with an earlier transformation, I've cut down the number of steps since then with more gentle expanders. Set up in my progressive machine it pops a expanded case off after one trip around. They still need trimmed/reamed, but that's a single step. In the case step picture #6 & #7 are for looks as it's just rolling away the case shoulder wrinkle which isn't needed. Case life can be quite good (I've gone up to 12 firings) if they're not lost, damaged or run at max pressures. The blue bins have the last batch of LC cases I modified, one of which my son used to get his deer this year.

Last edited by Moleman-; 01-11-2018 at 11:58 PM.

I am a Forum User
    tagged

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    None of your pictures are showing up now for me?
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    None of your pictures are showing up now for me?
    None of them are showing up for me either. And I do have a google account and am logged in.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Weird, I see them just fine. Tried logging out of google pics and MGO and could still see them. I think it's a setting with my google account. One of my "IT" experts will be home in a few hours and I'll have them figure it out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast