Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    if i had infinite money and time, I'd check different lengths/riflings/weights on gel. I'm just not sure a light bullet that loses a lot of speed due to tumbling would make that big of a cavity if it hits sideways. maybe? my point is that we know how bullets work well, and if the big deal about the reformation is that it has straight rifling... i'd rather just build pistols or pay for even more tax stamps.
    Straight rifling typically provides faster velocities which, in this case, may help increase fragmentation upon impact. Spiral rifling increases the friction on the round and thus reduces velocity. Slower twist rates typically provide better velocity for this reason vs faster twist rates. Less resistance when pushing the bullet out the barrel=higher FPS.

The downfall is that without the spin, the bullet is less stable and therefore less accurate at distance than spiral rifling.

If it's MOA at 50yds with faster velocities, then it could be interesting. Think about it, non-NFA with more velocity than the equivalent SBR. What I want to see is gel tests vs more conventionally rifled barrels of the same length with the same ammo.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 01-22-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    if i had infinite money and time, I'd check different lengths/riflings/weights on gel. I'm just not sure a light bullet that loses a lot of speed due to tumbling would make that big of a cavity if it hits sideways. maybe? my point is that we know how bullets work well, and if the big deal about the reformation is that it has straight rifling... i'd rather just build pistols or pay for even more tax stamps.
    Tumbling + speed is what cause fragmentation
    Speed & Tumbling are there in a 20" barrel and 77 gr

I am a Forum User
    The people who shot it at Shot Show Range Day says that is does have a rifled barrel, standard Binary trigger and adjustable shoulder stock. But no details as to how they avoided the NFA requirement. Guess we’ll find out tomorrow (I think) when it is revealed.

ETA
    My guess is the use of the binary trigger, greater then 26 inch length, barrel less then 16 inches and use of a shoulder stock. And the definition of a rifle as
    “A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and designed to use the energy of an explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled barrel for each single pull of the trigger.”

Since the binary trigger can fire more than one round per pull then it is not a “rifle”. So by extension, since it is not a rifle then a barrel less than 16 inches doesn’t make it an SBR.

And greater than 26 inches keeps it out another definition of an SBR with a shoulder stock.
    Last edited by Michaelk; 01-22-2018 at 11:20 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Why the Franklin Armory Reformation isn't an SBR...we think

Last edited by Smokepole; 01-23-2018 at 09:06 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Today's the day we should find out the truth.

It is confirmed, straight lands and grooves.

http://www.recoilweb.com/franklin-ar...ed-133042.html

If they sell just the barrel, I bet they'd do well. But the price of the whole gun is a bit steep for most, especially with the fact that you can "occasionally" shoulder a pistol brace.

Dice

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    If they sell just the barrel, I bet they'd do well. But the price of the whole gun is a bit steep for most, especially with the fact that you can "occasionally" shoulder a pistol brace.

Dice
    I would rather have a barrel that is 4.5 inches longer with rifling and have a better change of hitting what I was aiming at.

Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    I would rather have a barrel that is 4.5 inches longer with rifling and have a better change of hitting what I was aiming at.
    But then you wouldn't be tacticool.

Dice

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post

Dice
    I'm sure someone will bring these sort of barrels to market...we're probably looking at the next Sig brace craze.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast