Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Court finds short mental health treatment doesn’t end gun rights

By Chris Eger
    Guns.com
    December 27th. 2017

A federal court last week held that an involuntary emergency treatment of a Pennsylvania man for less than 24 hours did not trigger a lifetime ban on firearms.

Deciding in the case of Alton Franklin, the U.S. District Court held that his brief history of mental illness reported by the state did not square against federal gun prohibitions on those who have been committed to a mental institution.

According to court documents, in 2002 Franklin appeared at his local police station “needing to talk to someone” in the aftermath of a recent break-up with 20 lacerations on his arms he said he picked up as part of a drinking game with a friend. The officer he spoke to felt that Franklin posed a danger to himself or others and a county official completed a warrant that the man be involuntarily admitted to a mental health facility for up to 120 hours. However, Franklin only remained hospitalized for less than 24 hours before he was released.

Since then, he has not been the subject of a mental health order and went on to complete a bachelor’s degree, earn a paralegal certification and work as a corrections officer for the state of Kentucky. Nonetheless, in 2013 he was advised that he was a prohibited firearms possessor with an active file in the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System, stripping him of his gun rights, due to the time he spent in the hospital more than a decade previously.
    Note: Alton Franklin's own comments on this case are found below, in post #6.
    Last edited by Smokepole; 01-08-2018 at 08:49 AM.

MGO Member
    Just thinking, maybe this is why liberals hate guns. Seeing how liberalism is a mental disease they figure since they wouldn't be allowed to own guns no one should.

I am a Forum User
    The Real Reasons Liberals Hate Guns
    What you have to understand is that, for liberals, the gun control debate isn’t actually about guns. It’s about supressing power. To be more specific, it’s about whether power should lie with the people or with the government. Liberals, of course, side with government.

Gun ownership puts power into the hands of the people and therefore they are less dependent on the government. Owning a gun at the time of need gives the law-abiding gun owner the ability to make the decision as to whether the use of force is lawful, right, and justified. The American Left doesn’t believe ordinary citizens have the ability to make such decisions, hence their love affair with gun control.

Liberals prefer major life decisions to be made by the government. Consider issues such as government-run healthcare, the redistribution of wealth via the progressive tax system, and the lack of school choice as just a few examples that run parallel to their “government knows best” mentality present in those calling for more gun control and less overall guns. Again, it’s not about the guns, it’s about whether the people or the government should have the power.

Owning a gun makes a citizen more independent from his government.
    Visit the more rural areas of this great nation, which with no coincidence less liberals live, and you will find high levels of gun ownership and rightfully so.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokepole View Post

By Chris Eger
    Guns.com
    December 27th. 2017

It this ruling were applied across the US, maybe gun owners that need a little help, wouldn't be afraid of seeking it out. That would benefit all of us.
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

I am a Forum User
    No....once the ruling is reversed and you are in the system........

I am a Forum User

My Fight

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
    Last edited by NotAdjudicated; 02-18-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Type-O's

That's quite a story. Makes me pissed off.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by NotAdjudicated View Post
    If it were not for Prince Law Firm, being willing to take the next fight, in the Federal Court, for me without expecting payment from me up front, and hoping to be reimbursed by the Defendants, I would NEVER have even gotten to Federal Court.
    So basically you're promoting Adam Kraut for NRA board of directors?
    also, have your thought about setting up a go-fund-me or something else like that and seeing if Adam would mention it on the podcasts he's on? They have a lot of listeners, and you have pretty much nothing to lose. Just be careful which funding-thing you set up your account on, some may not like the guns issue and cancel/confiscate the money. I mean, this is kind of a big win and some people might be willing to toss a couple bucks your way.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Last edited by NotAdjudicated; 02-18-2018 at 02:49 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Last edited by NotAdjudicated; 02-18-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast