Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOTA arms

SOTA arms

SOTA arms billet lower. Does anyone have first hand experience with one? I already know what the prima donnas of Ar15.com say.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    SOTA arms billet lower. Does anyone have first hand experience with one? I already know what the prima donnas of Ar15.com say.
    The ARFCOMITES are a special breed. I have built several rifles on billet lowers, though none have been SOTA, I shoot 3Gun with a guy who built his match rifle on a SOTA billet upper/lower combo and he has ever said a bad word about it.

I am a Forum User
    I don't have one, but everything I've read about SOTA points to poor quality control, especially with their barrels. You might get a good part for cheap, you might get something seriously screwed up from the factory.

It's pretty hard to mess up a lower, but at $55 for billet there's probably a reason it's that cheap. The problems you read about them not being compatible with a lot of common magazines (which SOTA appears to at least partially acknowledge on their site) is hopefully the only issue you have.

If I needed a lower, I'd give one a shot at $29.99.

http://www.surplusammo.com/products/...eid=b9741e8d38
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin View Post
    If I needed a lower, I'd give one a shot at $29.99.

That's what brought me here.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post

After reading the arfcom review, the issue is tight magwells. Anderson is known for that also. Just sand the magwell if that's an issue

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kefefs View Post
    I don't have one, but everything I've read about SOTA points to poor quality control, especially with their barrels. You might get a good part for cheap, you might get something seriously screwed up from the factory.

It's pretty hard to mess up a lower, but at $55 for billet there's probably a reason it's that cheap. The problems you read about them not being compatible with a lot of common magazines (which SOTA appears to at least partially acknowledge on their site) is hopefully the only issue you have.
    You should probably ask the guy that did the first batch of MOG lowers under old leadership how easy it is to mess up a lower.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterspirit View Post

After reading the arfcom review, the issue is tight magwells. Anderson is known for that also. Just sand the magwell if that's an issue
    Aren't tight magwells usually from someone using a magazine that isn't a metal GI magazine? I know some people have issues with magpul mags and some other magazines, but like you said they were fixed by sanding down the inside of the mag well.

MGO Member
    They also have a warning in the description. "DOES NOT ACCEPT GEN 3 MAGPUL PMAGS without slight modification to the PMAG's overtravel stop (rear tab of the magazine, contacts the front of the trigger guard). Same issue with Magpul Drum."

Banned
    My BCM, PSA and Colt lowers take Magpul mags any generation with zero issue
    The Spikes and DPMS were GTG also
    The only issues I've ever had with lowers/uppers were with Anderson.
    Most Anderson lowers I've had needed the grip screw hole opened up .
    I just grabbed a 1/4-28 tap from the machinist box and some wax and ran it through
    I have a 20" Colt A2/A1 transitional model upper on a Anderson lower that works well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast