Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Question Best Single Handgun, Quick Access Biometric Safe?

Guys,
    I have friends that are interested in getting a handgun for home defense. They have two young boys. Safety and preventing unauthorized access is a must. What's on the market for these days for a single handgun, quick access, biometric safe that would provide secure storage, but immediate access to a loaded handgun for one of the parents?

My wife and I do not have kids, so this has never been something I had to dig into.

Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    In real life, is biometric or keypad combination better?

Seems in high stress situations, biometric would be better, IF and that's a big IF, the safe opens reliably every time.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DTrain View Post
    In real life, is biometric or keypad combination better?

Seems in high stress situations, biometric would be better, IF and that's a big IF, the safe opens reliably every time.
    I cant comment on real life but I have the keypad model at work and when training with it, without looking to simulate a disoriented situation, I have had a few times that I hit the buttons too fast and missed a button. Ive gotten alot better due to muscle memory though. I personally think the biometric would be much faster and easier under high stress but it runs on batteries so you have to make sure you always have fully charged batteries in there. I read a while back that if the batteries get low the biometric reader tends to open for many non-programmed fingers. Thats a bit concerning but much better than completely locking up I guess.

Costco was selling the keypad version for a ridiculously low price, I believe under $100. That sale may be long gone by now though as it was a few months ago.

I am a Forum User
    Skip to the 2:00 mark to see how fast this one opens.

I bought 2 different brands of Biometric safes over the holidays and had to return both due to being unreliable.
    I wound up getting this one and this one is staying. No batteries or power cord. Simplex mechanical lock. Very sturdy. http://www.gunsafeexpert.com/v-line-brute-review/
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin View Post
    I bought 2 different brands of Biometric safes over the holidays and had to return both due to being unreliable.
    I wound up getting this one and this one is staying. No batteries or power cord. Simplex mechanical lock. Very sturdy. http://www.gunsafeexpert.com/v-line-brute-review/
    That's what I am worried about. Thanks for the link to the V-Line products. I'll check into them more!

I bought a cart full of the speed vault pop out side mount boxes when Costco had them on sale for like $35 or $40. Mine havevthe keypad, and you can make it as complex as you want (multiple synchronized button presses, etc) and can't be happier with them. Super fast easy access, and with the multiple wrong code lockout feature (and tamper alarm, both disableable) unlikely an unauthorized user could casually gain access.

I've used bio scanners in other applications (.gov computers and devices) and found them to be unreliable for a first try unlock.....even deliberately going slow. In a hurry (or a panic) it would take me 3-4 tries to gain access. Unless the new scanners are significantly better...I wouldn't trust them for an instant access box.

I'd actually prefer a Simplex lock.

I am a Forum User
    FFD, are you talking about these? https://www.costco.com/Gunvault-Spee...100390759.html

This one is supposed to have latest, greatest, FBI fingerprint sensor but I didn't feel like dropping $340 on one to find out, especially after sending two back. Plus I discovered there were three companies using Simplex locks so I studied them and decided on the Brute.

https://www.amazon.com/Verifi-Smart-...8c274b45731b2d

V-Line Brute video

Last edited by Imshootin; 05-21-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast