Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User
    Among others, one of my primary concerns is the lack of training/refresher classes this implies (granted, I may misunderstand the proposal...) I think there's plenty of cpl licensees that, after their initial pistol course, never really train. These same individuals carry every day thereafter without ever touching base with the basic safety and carry methodology again, let alone legal and practical (equipment, holster, ammo...) Information. I think for individuals such as this (and maybe even those of us who "live and breathe the culture") a mandatory course is the least we can do to ensure safe cpl practices by our breed. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Some Donkus View Post
    Among others, one of my primary concerns is the lack of training/refresher classes this implies (granted, I may misunderstand the proposal...) I think there's plenty of cpl licensees that, after their initial pistol course, never really train. These same individuals carry every day thereafter without ever touching base with the basic safety and carry methodology again, let alone legal and practical (equipment, holster, ammo...) Information. I think for individuals such as this (and maybe even those of us who "live and breathe the culture") a mandatory course is the least we can do to ensure safe cpl practices by our breed. Thoughts?
    You took the course to get the CPL to begin with. If you learned it then. you don't need to be taught it again. When was the last time you had a math course? Can you still balance your check book? Could you ever balance the check book? You should have had those kills by the time you were 10 yo or so. Making something like that mandatory is just a continuing infringement on the rights. If you wish to alleviate the concern, make it part of the school curriculum.

There is no way to insure, assure, or ensure that people are not going to do dumb things on occasion. That is the nature of the beast, and there is no law that will change it.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    You took the course to get the CPL to begin with. If you learned it then. you don't need to be taught it again. When was the last time you had a math course? Can you still balance your check book? Could you ever balance the check book? You should have had those kills by the time you were 10 yo or so. Making something like that mandatory is just a continuing infringement on the rights. If you wish to alleviate the concern, make it part of the school curriculum.

There is no way to insure, assure, or ensure that people are not going to do dumb things on occasion. That is the nature of the beast, and there is no law that will change it.
    The difference between your checkbook analogy and my example is that I can balance a checkbook because I use math everyday. Unfortunately, many people who get their CPL do -not- utilize what they learned in the basic safety course consistently, which is exactly what I posted above. Would you consider a surgeon who performed one surgery 5 years ago and never practiced since to replace your knee or even give you stitches?

Edit: and I agree, legislation doesn't cure stupid nor prevent accidents, but the education Incorporated within -some- legislation can.

The difference between your checkbook analogy and my example is that I can balance a checkbook because I use math everyday. Unfortunately, many people who get their CPL do -not- utilize what they learned in the basic safety course consistently, which is exactly what I posted above. Would you consider a surgeon who performed one surgery 5 years ago and never practiced since to replace your knee or even give you stitches?

Edit: and I agree, legislation doesn't cure stupid nor prevent accidents, but the education Incorporated within -some- legislation can.
    Education should be early, before the person could even buy one of their own. Educate not legislate.

And your example of the surgeon, surgery like marksmanship is a perishable skill and needs to be practiced. Yet the surgeon would still know HOW to do the surgery just as an individual would know how to handle a firearm safely. non sequitur.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Do you also agree that you should have refresher courses & licenses before you are allowed to post on the internet for everyone in the world to see?
    Last edited by Leader; 01-26-2018 at 07:00 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    I believe the right to keep and bear arms is a constitutional right, not a civil right. The former comes from one of our founding documents, while the latter come from the various bills passed into law by Congress (e.g., ADA passed in 1990, FHA passed in 1968, Civil Rights Act passed in 1964, Voting Rights Act of 1965, etc.)
    Actually your rights come from God this is why they are called unalienable rights in the US Constitution. The US Constitution just enumerates some of those rights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

MGO Member
    I found this quote that sums up my thoughts pretty well.

“Freedom is messy. In free societies, people will fall through the cracks--drink too much, eat too much, buy unaffordable homes, fail to make prudent provision for health care, and much else. But the price of being relieved of all those tiresome choices by a benign paternal government is far too high. Big Government is the small option: it's the guarantee of smaller freedom, smaller homes, smaller cars, smaller opportunities, smaller lives.”

― Mark Steyn, After America: Get Ready for Armageddon
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    I believe the right to keep and bear arms is a constitutional right, not a civil right. The former comes from one of our founding documents, while the latter come from the various bills passed into law by Congress (e.g., ADA passed in 1990, FHA passed in 1968, Civil Rights Act passed in 1964, Voting Rights Act of 1965, etc.)
    Aren't civil rights all about equality?

"God made man. Sam Colt made him equal."

I think it is a civil right. The anti-gunners don't like that sentiment but it is what it is.

MGO Member
    Just because some may not have extra money/time to attend additional training courses should not disqualify them from keeping their CPL.

I am a Forum User
    Shall not be infringed.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast