Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Unhappy Shortened barrel, range threttened to call cops and was told to leave

I need some help here a have a Mosin–Nagant 9130. I have new stock, scope, cut and re crowned on both ends.
    Original length is 48" installed new stock went down to 47". I cut off 9" of the barrel. This brought it to 38" overall with a 20" barrel. I was at the range yesterday and was kicked out after being there only a few min and no refund. I was asked for a tax stamp which i dont have. I was told i had to leave or the police would be called. I did this a few years ago and go hunting with this every year. Do i need to contact nfa? Or who? What kind of money do i need to fork out to make it legal again? Fines?
    When i did this i read through their regulations and thought i was in the clear.

Please help.

What range?

Even though it’s not an SBR, NOBODY has the right to see your private tax documents. (Except the ATF, and you won’t EVER run into that situation)

When I hear about range officers demanding to see tax stamps, it makes me want to punch them in the throat.

With those dimensions, you are legally just fine.
    If you want, you can email pics to me at Andrew@Ortweinintl.com and I could look at it, just in case I’m missing something with your description.

I work with NFA items all day/everyday.

You can call me also if it’s easier to explain over the phone. I’m at my desk by 7:00am every morning.
    503-313-0514
    Last edited by Coctailer; 01-18-2018 at 05:49 AM.

Damn Brother, you could have chopped 3.900" more off that barrel!! Sorry you were harassed, I would flame that range publicly, so no one else waste their money there!!
    I guess I don't understand what cut and crowned on both ends means though, you only cut and crown the exit hole of the barrel. Did you have the chamber end worked on too?

You can legally cut a barrel down to 16" without a tax stamp, even shorter if you have a muzzle device permanently attached, and its length is over 16". I too would like to punch the RO in the throat over this!
    Last edited by JDG; 01-18-2018 at 06:20 AM.
    Active airport shooter

Banned
    What range?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    What range?

Even though it’s not an SBR, NOBODY has the right to see your private tax documents. (Except the ATF, and you won’t EVER run into that situation)

When I hear about range officers demanding to see tax stamps, it makes me want to punch them in the throat.

With those dimensions, you are legally just fine.
    If you want, you can email pics to me at Andrew@Ortweinintl.com and I could look at it, just in case I’m missing something with your description.

I work with NFA items all day/everyday.

You can call me also if it’s easier to explain over the phone. I’m at my desk by 7:00am every morning.
    503-313-0514
    This ^^^ is what this forum should be about. I commend you Sir for reaching out to help another person. This post made my day.

I am a Forum User
    I think this is a great opportunity to get this range info, and give them some training on customer etiquette and policy.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I was more mad about it yesterday, they are a really nice range. The range master was someone new ive never seen, and dont want to haze them for what a dummy did and loose repour with them.i do have a bruised ego, and out 15$. I packed up and ran out of there afraid. I called the guy i know there and left him a message about it and im looking to hearing from him.

As for the gun i cut it down due to it constantly hanging up on trees, brush etc. Much more manageable now.

The receiver end basically was cha****ed lightly and polished, helped with extraction. The end of the barrel was also chamfored just a bit bigger (evens out the exit) sharp corner made bullet wander alot past 150yards. When i get back home late tonight i will post a pick.

If i dont need a tax stamp, do i need to regester at all? Let government know some how? I thank everyone for their responses and help.

Banned
    it may be the Range's SOP

MGO Member
    They made that same basic gun with short barrels in WW2 models 38 & 44 I think & the chinese used the same design they vietnam.
    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

I am a Forum User
    Regardless of the ranges rules, policies, SOP's, etc., they at least need to refund his money. I realize it's only $15, but damages are damages.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast