Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Looking for a place to shoot near Lansing

Hey, there. I'm a 19 y/o student at MSU. I recently bought my first handgun and am looking for a place to shoot. I've encountered two major issues, the first is that its winter so it needs to be an indoor range. Issue number two is that most indoor ranges require you to be 21 to shoot. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can go near Lansing?

Welcome to MGO!

Since you are attending the MSU, have you visited the Demmer Center? They offer a nice rifle/pistol range (air rifle/pistol or .22 only, though - and they used to offer free rentals to students, I don't know if they still do) and and indoor/outdoor archery range. Lots of activities there, and I wouldn't be surprised if Crankythunder stopped by to invite you to the weekly bulls-eye matches. Then, there is Total Firearms, just south of Holt on Cedar Street. Nice indoor range, and I would recommend going on a Friday or Saturday, our very own Cocowheats is the RO. They do not allow reloaded ammo, though.

As the weather improves, you will want to visit the Rose Lake shooting range, operated by the DNR. They have a 10-yard pistol range, and other ranges that go out to 100-yards. There are no range fees, and the RO's will give you the rules of the range.

And keep your eye out for upcoming MGO board meetings, offering free range time after the meeting.

Let us know where you go, and what you think.

If you have your own gun and ammo, you can shoot at Total Firearms in Mason.

I am a Forum User
    I appreciate the responses guys, the issue is that because I am only 19, total firearms policy keeps me from being allowed to shoot there, as they do not allow anyone under 21, even if you own your own pistol.

I am a Forum User
    And yes I have checked out Demmer Center, the issue is that I'd like to shoot my recently purchased 9MM, and they do not allow calibers larger than .22. Thanks for the reply though! and Rose Lake sounds great, just not sure when they re-open for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by mattc141 View Post
    I appreciate the responses guys, the issue is that because I am only 19, total firearms policy keeps me from being allowed to shoot there, as they do not allow anyone under 21, even if you own your own pistol.
    Pm sent.

I am a Forum User
    Just an FYI if you enjoy shooting and want to shoot with other students then you should check out the MSU shooting club. You can shoot competitively or just for fun. Our main range is the demmer center but we also go to other ranges so that we can shoot our center fire guns. I am currently on the action pistol team in the club. If you have any questions about the club DM me.

I am a Forum User
    HeY Matt:

I run a pistol team out of MSU Demmer, our next match is thursday night. I should be there around 6 pm. Come check us out.

I will also be there tuesday night with my rifle for the rifle team. Come tuesday as well if you want information on Pistol.

Shoot me a pm if you are interested.

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
    www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com

Sincerely,
    George