Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet!

maverick 88 wont fire

so I went trap shooting with my new maverick 88. I ended up using the range gun because my gun wouldn't fire. I fired maybe a few rounds. so I took the gun at a gun shop and they said the bolt was just dry and sticking, so they lubed it and it fired fine. the next day I went to trap shoot again and the same thing happened again. the gun would go off but the firing pin wouldn't strike the shell.
    has anyone else had this happen?

I am a Forum User
    These shotgun are usually pretty trouble free. Why they are so popular. Assuming your ammunition worked well in the range shotgun, you should determine whether your Maverick 88 has a broken firing pin or firing pin returnspring. Then measure firing pin protrusion, which should be in the vicinity of 0.040 - 0.050 inch.
    Last edited by 10x25mm; 01-21-2018 at 06:10 PM.

I can't post links yet!
    The ammo shot just fine. I don’t have a tool to check the pin. I cut a shell and emptied it. I fired the gun 3 or 4 times and there is no mark on the primer at all. I took the bolt apart and can’t find any broken parts

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mvogel View Post
    The ammo shot just fine. I don’t have a tool to check the pin. I cut a shell and emptied it. I fired the gun 3 or 4 times and there is no mark on the primer at all. I took the bolt apart and can’t find any broken parts
    No mark on the primer at all suggests that your firing pin is really short, or the bolt is fully out of battery when the hammer is falling. Out of battery hammer falls are so dangerous that your shotgun should be returned to the manufacturer for warranty service.

I can't post links yet!
    Thanks I’m taking it to a different gunsmith today. We’ll see

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mvogel View Post
    Thanks I’m taking it to a different gunsmith today. We’ll see
    why? Mossberg customer service is second to NONE. Don't pay a gunsmith for something they'll do for free under warranty!!!

I am a Forum User
    Make sure the barrel is fully seated in the receiver. Had a similar problem with a Winchester 1200 years ago. if barrel was aimed upward the gun would shoot,, if barrel was aimed down or parallel to the ground the firing pin would not contact the primer.