Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Register handgun purchase with local cops - or just State of MI?

I've bought a few guns in the last year or so; always took the 'State Copy' of the purchase form to my local cop shop; and they sent them on to Lansing.
    On my last purchase I decided just to mail my copy to the State Police - basically bypassing the few mile drive to the local police station.
    - Did I make a mistake? I really don't know if I'm required to notify the local police of my purchase; the form says 'State Police' copy; and of course I know the local police can check records in Lansing any time they want. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
    I've bought a few guns in the last year or so; always took the 'State Copy' of the purchase form to my local cop shop; and they sent them on to Lansing.
    On my last purchase I decided just to mail my copy to the State Police - basically bypassing the few mile drive to the local police station.
    - Did I make a mistake? I really don't know if I'm required to notify the local police of my purchase; the form says 'State Police' copy; and of course I know the local police can check records in Lansing any time they want. Thanks.
    If your transaction involved an RI-060 (the PSR, Pistol Sales Record), it is to be turned in to YOUR local Law Enforcement Agency.
    If your transaction involved an RI-010 (the LTP, License to Purchase), it is to be turned into THE Law Enforcement Agency that issued it.

These can be turned in either in person or by mail. This is all listed in 28.422, 422a

I don't know if what you did will affect anything, and I am sure that you are not the first to do it.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    I once asked my local PD if I could mail the registrations in or just hand them to an officer and have them take them in for me. The reply that I got was "what if your letter to lansing gets lost? Or what if the officer you hand it to throws it in his trousers and forgets to turn it in?". Both seemed within the realm of possibility so I just take mine in. That way they have a copy and MSP gets one too.

The latest forms say "Registry Copy" rather than MSP copy. Distribution is supposed to be as Roundballer said.
    Formerly Known As RevDerb since 2008 with 9,457 posts.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    http://revderb.blogspot.com John 5:24 <><

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by holtian View Post
    I once asked my local PD if I could mail the registrations in or just hand them to an officer and have them take them in for me. The reply that I got was "what if your letter to lansing gets lost? Or what if the officer you hand it to throws it in his trousers and forgets to turn it in?". Both seemed within the realm of possibility so I just take mine in. That way they have a copy and MSP gets one too.
    Not necessarily.........

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...firmation-list