Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

9mm AR15 blowback barrel and buffer on the cheap

Couple years back Green Mountain was having a decent sale so I ordered a dozen or so barrels. Some of the barrels were their 1" 9mm blanks http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/9mm-bla...k-17-x-1-1-10/ At the time they were $33 with 25% off if you went over a certain dollar amount which I easily reached. A 1" blank isn't big enough for the 1.170" collar that the barrel needs so a lug-less extension was made from some 4150 steel and hardened. Went with 13/16"-24tpi for the barrel and extension threads and put the joint for the two pieces of steel just past the outside edge of the bevel on the barrel. For the chamber bevel/feed ramp I just copied a Sten MKII barrel and cut it with the compound set at 33 degrees. I had a Car type handguard set Delta assembly and a spare front sight base in the parts bin to use also as well as a A1 type upper that had a chunk of the barrel index pin slot missing. Since it was broken I got the upper at a great price (free) so the most expensive part by far was a $100 bolt that was on sale. Since the index slot was broken out on the upper and I was making the barrel an index slot was cut at 6:00 on the upper nose and the index pin was installed at the bottom of the barrel. If at some point I want to put it on a standard upper the lower pin can be removed and another one put at the 12:00 position. Here's a couple pics of the progress and the initial test fire. It has since been parkerized and shot quite a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My first 9mm upper was a gas operated one that ran off of sten gun mags, so I had quite a few of them. I also have standard 9mm lowers that use the colt/uzi pattern mags. While I was at it I made another couple magwell blocks for sten mags that had ejectors on them as the DI one didn't. Basically copied the old DI block and made it a little more user friendly. Don't have any pics of it finished at the moment, but the barrel and steel parts on the magwell block were parkerized and a serrated pad was put on the bottom on the mag release. To cut the serrations a big tap had several of the flutes removed. I believe I used about a 1"-12tpi tap with all but two opposite flutes removed so the end result is 24 lines per inch serrations when used as a side cutting end mill.

The heavy 9mm buffers are expensive so I made one out of some 1" SS rod and a $1 rubber buffer bumper. No pics of it being made as it's a simple part. It turned out at 7.8 ounces and cost less than $5 to make. It's heavy to delay opening while being run with the suppressor and longer to keep the bolt speed down so it doesn't break the bolt catch.

Banned
    Nice Buffer
    Wish I could make one these days
    If I had a lathe or mill.....................

I have read several of your posts and just want to complement you on your interesting posts and talent.

you're a welcome addition to MGO IMO. Thank you.

Thanks hunterspirit and tenthumbs, I think it's fun plus you get to shoot them afterwards. Found a pic of the damage to the upper and took a pic of the parkerized barrel ect. Parkerizing is extremely easy, degrease, abrasive blast, degrease, drop in solution at 180 degrees, take out dip in clean water, inspect, if good spray off with wd40 or other water displacing oil and enjoy if not back in the tank. The parkerizing is one of a couple 357AR barrels from few years ago. They were parkerized after a test fire so a fired case was used to block off the chamber and a wood plug was turned for the muzzle. Parkerize gas port down or block it off to keep any solution out of the bore. The extensions were teflon coated so they stayed bright.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by tenthumbs View Post
    I have read several of your posts and just want to complement you on your interesting posts and talent.

you're a welcome addition to MGO IMO. Thank you.
    +1

I like reading about people innovating and doing different things. I just don't have anything constructive to add, so I dont comment.

Keep 'em coming Moleman-!