Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I Buggered Up My Gas Key Good

Had a gas key threatening to come loose due to lack of staking. The manufacturer offered to address it because it was supposed to be staked from the factory, but I would've been without my rifle for up to a month and so I thought to myself, "I own a vise, a center punch, and a hammer - how hard could it be to stake it myself?"

I've had wiser thoughts.

Anyway, staking the right side went pretty well, but then I managed to bugger up BOTH on the left. As you can hopefully see in the photo, I slipped and dented that little shoulder thingy below the screw. I carefully dremeled it flat and smoothed it out as well as I could to avoid friction, but it's still slightly rough to the touch. That section can rub against the inside of the upper, yes? Am I risking damage to the upper if I run it in this condition?

What do you recommend? Pony up the $20 for a replacement gas key and screws from Brownells, plus however much it costs to have a gunsmith install it? Use a fine grit whetstone to rub it extra smooth, remaining finish be darned? Just run it as is?

Thanks! And remember never to let me anywhere near your rifle with a hammer....

IMG_20180122_215415760_HDR.jpg

Use a fine tooth file or diamond hone stick to remove any of the displaced metal that's proud of the surface where it will rub. If the staking keeps the screws from coming loose that is all you're after. When I have to stake a gas key I displace the metal centerline front and back of the screws where it can't cause that problem.

Banned
    File it, then stone it, then choot it

I am a Forum User
    Looks good to me. Use your dremel to smooth it out and choot it!

I am a Forum User
    I'd file it smooth, (dremel can remove too much, quickly, depending on the grinding bit you're using)
    and then run with it..not like it is a critical, tightly fit piece.

If looking @ it disturbs you, buy a replacement piece.
    Any alteration marks you've made isn't easily visible & doesn't affect functioning.

Alright, thanks for the input! Consensus seems to be smooth it out and don't worry about it, so that's what I'll do. Guess any extra friction (?) caused by the voids won't cause issues?

Banned

Alright, finally got the chance to "choot" it a bunch yesterday. Still cycles properly with no obvious grinding or other signs of increased friction. Thanks!

Banned
    Awesome