Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Loose Revolver Grip

My S&W (mod 17) wood grips will tighten up to snug. They will loosen almost immediately.
    I would like to keep the original grips. Any ideas on a fix?
    Thanks,
    Norton

I am a Forum User
    Have you tried a little bit of blue Loc-tite? Sounds like the threads may be worn, and you may need to have a gunsmith fix that.

I am a Forum User
    Couple of solutions.............

First off, a small bit of double sided foam carpet tape.......does wonders, you can figure out where you need it.

try the blue loctite....

if the blue loctite doesnt work, a sliver of wood with loctite in the threads is worth a try....

next, if that doesnt work, rethread it with a tap to the next larger size and get new screws.

Regards,
    Crankster

I am a Forum User
    Please don't tap oversized and the only place on a S&W revolver for blue Loctite is setting the main spring strain screw and there are literally no exceptions.

You most likely have a grip panel escutcheon that has worked loose and worn away enough wood so it won't set up and hold the thread strain. Problem is most folks don't know how to remove wood grip panels correctly and in so doing cause damage to either the metal escutcheon or the wood that secures it. It's possible the grip screw could be stripped but these are fine threads and quite easy to spot worn or stripped threads. Same with the escutcheon insert threads though I've rarely seen it happen.

Couple of options would be to first inspect the threads closely with a good light and glass and if they appear sound then try a dab of quick cure epoxy in way of the escutcheon perimeter and wood interface. This should be done only after cleaning any oil and crud from the wood with alcohol to insure a bond. If the grips are finished stay away from lacquer thinner and other type solvents as you will certainly strip the finish. Alcohol is pretty safe unless you have very old shellaced grip panels so test before jumping in. If there are any screws on a nice S&W revolver that will reveal poor handling it's the grip screw so get the right tool for the job.

Good luck

Thanks.
    I'll give that a try.
    Norton