Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

spam can 30 cal carbine ammo

i have a spam can 600 cartridges ball m1 in 10rd clips bandoleers lot lc13227 can any one give me info on it mayby from what period and possobly what it might be worth,i tried looking on line but i didnt find much.

MGO Member
    Unfortunately, that spam can is post WW2 vintage, as the last recorded LC lot number for WW2 carbine ammo was LC12965 in 1945, and the first LC carbine ammo lot number was 12000 around 1942 or a bit earlier. So it took 4 years at high production rates to do 965 lots, 1227 lots puts it out another year or two, but if figure production slowed, so a solid two years is a good guess. The consensus on the forms i read were that if it was WW2 vintage, then folks were willing to pay a premium for collectability, but if it is standard 70's era like the CMP sold off years ago, then the top most would pay was $0.50 a round as it is essentially just for shooting. The availability of newer brass cased ammo from Aguila, Prvi & S&B for .34-.40 a round has hurt the older "shooter" grade ammo. Some will pay more if it is a sealed spam can, but you have to find a collector not a shooter. I already have a bunch of older LC for collecting sake, and a bunch of the Wolf and Prvi for random plinking with the carbine. Mine doesn't get shot all that often, so my supply will last awhile i figure. So figure sell it quick for $250, or hold out for $300ish.

I personally would buy at $250 to collect it and shoot it as the last of my stash, but at $300, i would just grab newer Aguila for $340/1,000.
    Jason Ebig
    L & L Arms LLC
    586-321-6056
    01 FFL & Class 3 SOT Dealer

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ZYA_LTR View Post
    Unfortunately, that spam can is post WW2 vintage, as the last recorded LC lot number for WW2 carbine ammo was LC12965 in 1945, and the first LC carbine ammo lot number was 12000 around 1942 or a bit earlier. So it took 4 years at high production rates to do 965 lots, 1227 lots puts it out another year or two, but if figure production slowed, so a solid two years is a good guess. The consensus on the forms i read were that if it was WW2 vintage, then folks were willing to pay a premium for collectability, but if it is standard 70's era like the CMP sold off years ago, then the top most would pay was $0.50 a round as it is essentially just for shooting. The availability of newer brass cased ammo from Aguila, Prvi & S&B for .34-.40 a round has hurt the older "shooter" grade ammo. Some will pay more if it is a sealed spam can, but you have to find a collector not a shooter. I already have a bunch of older LC for collecting sake, and a bunch of the Wolf and Prvi for random plinking with the carbine. Mine doesn't get shot all that often, so my supply will last awhile i figure. So figure sell it quick for $250, or hold out for $300ish.

I personally would buy at $250 to collect it and shoot it as the last of my stash, but at $300, i would just grab newer Aguila for $340/1,000.
    Agreed. 250, Maybe 275 for a local deal

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster 308 View Post
    Agreed. 250, Maybe 275 for a local deal
    Would that vintage be corrosive?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    Would that vintage be corrosive?
    Anything manufactured prior to the early~mid 50's is most likely corrosive primed. I think the the general year for ammo in the US was 1952, but foreign manufacturers may have gone beyond that some.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member
    No 30 carbine was loaded with corrosive berden primers, all was loaded with non corrosive boxer primers.
    The only time I have seen burden 30 cal. carbine came from China.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fmj View Post
    No 30 carbine was loaded with corrosive berden primers, all was loaded with non corrosive boxer primers.
    The only time I have seen burden 30 cal. carbine came from China.
    +1

No US made carbine ammo was ever corrosive like stated, but the French stuff is highly corrosive, and should not be used in a M1 Carbine
    Jason Ebig
    L & L Arms LLC
    586-321-6056
    01 FFL & Class 3 SOT Dealer