Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member Forum User

Colt Model 1911A1 GI circa 1927

This pistol was my motivation behind getting the whole lot of firearms from a relative's estate. At that point (several years ago and before I got into firearms,) I knew the 1911 was an iconic handgun and was responsible for no small amount of innovation and success, both on the battlefield and off. I have come to appreciate the legacy of the 1911 and would like to own a newer model so as to use a more modern handgun with the same character.

My question, aside from what kind of value I may have in a Pre-WWII example, is what to do about the relatively poor condition of this thing. I would venture a guess in the "fair" category (80% but badly pitted,) even though it's purely a cosmetic issue. The PO clearly did a crap job of storing his weapons, and after taking it down and doing a thorough soak I realized that it may have been its first ever cleaning. smh

I think I remember seeing somewhere that Colt has a program to refinish firearms but I want to see if I should do anything with it at all. I like the idea of having a more pristine example but I don't want to touch it if it will detract from value/ won't be as high a quality of finish (not that its current finish is quality lol.) I'm well aware of the phrase "they don't make things like they used to," and I would just as well leave it alone if there is any question as to the final result. It shoots very well, as I use it regularly even though I'll be retiring it in favor of something else. I would like to ask our esteemed membership if anyone has used Colt's restoration service and what opinions are, and if associated costs might be reasonable or prohibitive for a 90 year old handgun. Value in its current state as well as where it might be if repaired are something I'd like to know as well (out of curiosity only.) Thanks all for your input! (Don't think I want to sell this one btw)

(These photos make me want to puke...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wait until the CMP starts selling them. That should be a good indicator.

A greenie for you being a paying member and posting a pic.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

MGO Member Forum User
    That about sums it up PeeDee, thanks for the reference!

Looks like one more cleaning then into the safe to be permanently retired, & a modern one to replace it because I love the platform. [emoji1]

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    A greenie for you being a paying member and posting a pic.
    Have no idea why they came in upside down tho! [emoji854]

Quote Originally Posted by 13's View Post
    That about sums it up PeeDee, thanks for the reference!

Looks like one more cleaning then into the safe to be permanently retired, & a modern one to replace it because I love the platform. [emoji1]
    You're welcome

MGO Member
    Is there a C in your serial # at the end? Maybe it isn't a good pic. That would indicate a 1950 or later, Commercial model, not a GI.
    Congrats on a great pistol!

MGO Member
    looks like a commercial

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    Is there a C in your serial # at the end? Maybe it isn't a good pic. That would indicate a 1950 or later, Commercial model, not a GI.
    Congrats on a great pistol!
    Serial number does start w/ a C, thanks for the insight. Confusion from a novice on "Government Model" & "Government Issue."

Still getting 1927 though, from a couple of references (attached pic) serial number is C151---

Perhaps a little more education?