Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member Forum User

Info/ value on Jap bring backs please

I have a couple of Jap bring backs that I'd like some info on if possible, or references to other resources. I've been to several great websites so I was able to decode/ translate most information on the Arisaka Type 99 (light stock) and the Type 38 (dark stock.) When I first got the 99 there was a phenomenal resource online but when I went back after acquiring the 38 that website was no longer up. It's a shame because it was very interesting reading. Anyway, I'll try to organize this post in two sections:

Arisaka Type 99
    As can be seen in attached pics, the 99 appears to have been sporterized by the PO, and the mum has been ground off. Not sure about re-chambering but appears to my uneducated eye to be original 7.7. Though it was passed down from family, there is little sentimental value and I think I'd rather have a little extra space in the safe. I wonder if I should see about selling whole or if it might make sense to part out. I would appreciate feedback either way. I wouldn't expect much $, I'm just curious.
    Info that I have: Jinsen Arsenal (Inchon), series 40, manufactured 1939-1945
    I would like to see if there is info on production numbers to get a more accurate year of manufacture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bring backs usually have a mum.

Regardless, if they work, they'll be worth more whole, IMO.

Besides the wood, what has been sporterized?

Back in the 60's K-Mart carried them, stuffed in a barrel filled with cosmoline paper wrappers. $29.95

I bought the Enfield Jungle carbine for $25.95 and used it for Deer hunting for more then a few years during my youth.

British-Lee-Enfield-No.jpg

MGO Member
    The OP might want to put this in the mil surp thread/forum

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    The OP might want to put this in the mil surp thread/forum
    Thank you sir, will do. Both categories apply & I wasn't completely sure which to post in. [emoji848]

MGO Member
    A lot of mill surps were imported in the 50s and 60s and did not have an import mark. It was not in the law yet. Being that the mum is ground of makes it a post war. Tons of them and their ammo were dumped into Tokyo bay.<1FMJ>

Paid $60 for mine a couple years ago, no idea in today's market.

I am a Forum User
    That's a late war rifle, very late. 1944-45, you can tell by the crude features. Value with cut down stock and no mum $100 on a lucky day.