Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Exclamation 80% Handgun registration process question

My best friend is wanting to manufacture/complete an 80% handgun. We understand some of the aspects of serialization and registration of the completed tool. We have acquired a RI-60 form but have a question regarding the instructions for filling out the paperwork correctly.

The instructions on the back state one of the three asterisks must be filled out. Since two of those are asking for FFL numbers, and the third is asking for CPL number... He is not an FFL holder or a CPL holder. Is it possible to register a manufactured handgun using RI-60 without having CPL?

Please feel free to describe the process in detail if you have experience in this matter.

I assume its safe to post this inquiry here since it could be considered a process of gunsmithing. Please feel free to relocate if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

I am a Forum User
    <deleted>
    Last edited by tlagnhoj; 02-02-2018 at 12:47 PM.

MGO Member
    He needs to use form RI 10. Serial numbers are not required when building a firearm. Put No Serial Number in that category. Caliber and bbl length would likely be whatever bbl you initially intend to put on it. Put "Self" as manufacturer. You have ten days from when you get the RI 10 to register it.

I am a Forum User
    <deleted>
    Last edited by tlagnhoj; 02-02-2018 at 12:47 PM.

I am a Forum User
    So just to reiterate, one of the questions is about the three required astrisized instructions stating the need for either a ffl or a cpl. The instructions clearly state that one of the three MUST be filled out. He is not FFL or CPL. Since he does not have either of those numbers then he wont be able to register the tool?

To clarify, the instructions state...
    "
    2.) Sellers FFL number - To be completed if the seller is an FFL dealer*
    3.) Purchaser's Michigan CPL number - To be completed if the purchaser is a CPL holder*
    4.) Purchasers FFL number - To be completed if the purchaser is a FFL holder*

* At least one of the fields marked by an asterisk above MUST be completed. "

Thank you all for the interest in helping us figure out this language and lawful procedures.

I am a Forum User
    <deleted>
    Last edited by tlagnhoj; 02-02-2018 at 12:48 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tlagnhoj View Post
    Tyler, that was referring to the RI-60 which is the wrong form since none of the 3 conditions apply in this case. The CORRECT form is the RI-10 which is the license to purchase a pistol.

The thought is that IF the seller is a FFL then the background check will be done. OR if the purchaser is either a CPL holder or a FFL the background check is already done. If none of these conditions apply then the state feels it must make sure the purchaser jumps through the right hoops to enjoy his or her constitutional rights.
    Thank you for clearing that up.

So he will fill out the seller and purchasers fields with his name listed in each, are there any other notes or areas that could be confusing that he should be aware of?

I am a Forum User
    <deleted>
    Last edited by tlagnhoj; 02-02-2018 at 12:48 PM.

If you are doing an RI-10/RI-60, even though you didn't "purchase or otherwise acquire" the pistol, you aren't the seller.

MCL 28.421(1)(p) defines "seller". Putting N/A or leaving seller blank is factual, putting yourself as the seller is perjury, a 4 year felony pursuant to MCL 28.422(14)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast