Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User

First Shotgun Suggestions

I know, I know... A firearm purchase is personal and should reflect the needs, comfort, and abilities of the individual...

That being said, I've never owned a shotgun before (although I've fired a few). I'm looking to purchase a shotgun for the sole purpose of personal/home defense. I would prefer the following:

Minimum Michigan-Legal barrel length (without tax stamp and extraneous paperwork) (18" IIRC)

Pistol grip (full stock is not preferred but okay as long as pistol grip is also attached)

Pump-Action
    Minimum of 5 rounds capacity

With this in mind I've been eyeing the Mossberg ATI tactical HERE. Not a big fan of the flat earth finish but it's not a deal breaker.

Does anyone have any input as to the quality of Mossberg?
    Possible pitfalls? Pro's/Con's?

Also, using the above "desires" and the linked firearm, any alternate suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Donkus View Post
    I know, I know... A firearm purchase is personal and should reflect the needs, comfort, and abilities of the individual...

That being said, I've never owned a shotgun before (although I've fired a few). I'm looking to purchase a shotgun for the sole purpose of personal/home defense. I would prefer the following:

Minimum Michigan-Legal barrel length (without tax stamp and extraneous paperwork) (18" IIRC)

Pistol grip (full stock is not preferred but okay as long as pistol grip is also attached)

Pump-Action
    Minimum of 5 rounds capacity

With this in mind I've been eyeing the Mossberg ATI tactical HERE. Not a big fan of the flat earth finish but it's not a deal breaker.

Does anyone have any input as to the quality of Mossberg?
    Possible pitfalls? Pro's/Con's?

Also, using the above "desires" and the linked firearm, any alternate suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 with an ATI stock. Personally I prefer the Magpul stock but you want a pistol grip on the full stock.
    You can debate the mossberg 500 vs Remington 870 for ever, each has pros and cons and control preferences (like the safety button position).
    Personally I would prefer the mossberg 500 because it has double extractors on the bolt vs only one on the 870. Again, nothing wrong with the 870 single extractor.
    Also I like the position of the safety on the mossberg as it can be activated by the tum while your trigger finger is ready and close to the trigger guard.

I am a Forum User
    I'm not pleased with my 870. It likes to lock up tight if you have any back pressure on the forend when fired. And my front sight was loose from the factory. This, plus the 700 issues, the R51 debacle, the questionable RP9...I'm not interested in Remington firearms.

Yes, it's a Chevy/Ford debate. But I wish I had a Mossy instead.

I am a Forum User
    I'm partial to the Mossberg 500, plenty of used ones out there for cheap and easy to find the grip/stock/furniture combo that you want without breaking the bank. I've picked them up as cheap as $120 at pawn shops and gun shows. Just have to look around. I used to have a 870 express but didn't like the location of the safety. Nicer wood furniture on the 870s I think, but you'll be changing that from what it sounds like anyway. Best of luck and hope you find what you want soon.

I am a Forum User
    +3 for Mossberg 500. Lighter receiver, easier to load than 870, dual extractors, and hands down the best customer service I've ever experienced.

MGO Member Forum User
    Thank You, everyone, for the input. Looks from what you are all saying, that I am on the right road with thinking Mossberg. I'm also looking at the Mossberg 590A1 9-Shot Tactical.

MGO Member
    Mossberg 500 all the way.

I run

I vote 870 with Magpul stock. The pistol grip with or without the stock is more of a good idea than a good reality. The 500 is great, but I never liked the safety position. How will you actuate the 500 safety with a pistol grip?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Donkus View Post
    Thank You, everyone, for the input. Looks from what you are all saying, that I am on the right road with thinking Mossberg. I'm also looking at the Mossberg 590A1 9-Shot Tactical.
    I've got a 590A1 and its pretty great. I used that before I got my 930JM for three gun, and while it was slow going during the stages, it never once let me down. But a model 500 would work just as well for a first shotgun. Probably be able to pick one up much cheaper than a 590A1, and there's no shortage of parts out there for them to fit any taste.

MGO Member
    get ya a shockwave 12 or 20g unwanted house guest deturant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast