Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

.22 Magnum vs. .17 HMR rifles -

I've got a few .22l rifles; and a couple pistols as well, but when I started looking into .22 magnum rifles I stumbled onto ads about the .17 HMR; which I'd never heard of before.
    - Can anyone experienced with them tell me why you'd chose one over the other? What are the real differences to consider? Thanks!

The 17 is faster and more accurate then the 22mag, but the heavier bullets of the 22 mag make it a better killer on game like coyote or big coons at longer range. Both are ~150yr cartridges as far as hunting goes, but will kill smaller animals at longer ranges if you can place a good shot.
    I do not own a 22 mag but friends and family do and I have shot them. I do own 3 different 17hmrs however and like the cartridge for targets and plinking. As far as great accuracy the little bullets rule.
    I don't purposely hunt game with either cartridge but have taken a few animals as targets of opportunity that have presented themselves at the wrong time and place. IMO the 17HMR lacks penetration on 12-15lb up animals and, is very destructive on rabbits or squirrel. The 22 mags heavier bullets penetrate noticeably better.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Thanks Joe; very helpful. I've read that the 17 travels faster; but I would guess the 22 is generally a heavier bullet? I don't know how many different 'grains' either bullet is available in.
    - What do you think about Savage models in either caliber?
    Thanks again.

- Greg

Thank you for the education

MGO Member
    17 HMR is a little more accurate ....does't get as much penetration ....limited choices of ammo....
    22 Mag. there's a lot of choices in ammo from 32 gr.-50gr. with a little experimenting theres at least one that will shoot good in a gun....
    I've had good luck with Winchester 40 gr. JHP usually accurate in most guns and does good job killing coyotes, fox and beavers under 100 yards...
    Savage rimfires for the price are good guns....like all rimfires you need to experiment with different ammo to find what they like...then buy as much as you can afford in that lot number....

The 17HMR comes in 17gr and 20gr bullet weights vs the 22 magnums 30gr - 50gr weights.

Savage makes a good rifle at their price point, but I would prefer the Ruger American for just a couple bucks more if given a choice. http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/r...imfire-review/ For the record, the rimfires I own are all CZ or Ruger, no Ruger American models however.

I am a bit old fashion, although I own a few synthetic stocked centerfire rifles, I am not a big fan of and, try to avoid metal stampings and the recycled milk jug MOLDED stocks which both have That is due more to atheistic then function reasons.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the comments, 'CW'; seems there's an endless amount to learn about both guns AND ammo - but I love it!

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the info, Joe - I do appreciate it!