Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armorer's Tools

MGO Member Forum User

Armorer's Tools

Hey all,
    Looking to begin building my tool set for gunsmithing/Armory.

I really have no idea where to start in regards to quality. It seems that even simple tools like punches can range from $10 on the everyone low, to $100 on the extreme high.

Since price can often times belie the quality of a product, I'm a bit lost in trying to navigate my way around finding a good mid-range set of punches (and other tools).

I would be very grateful for general pointers in buying from specific companies that are known to be quality.

If it's any help, these tools will be used with the following firearms (but not limited to them):

Walther pk380
    Glocks
    Springfield Armory 1911 TRP Operator
    Magnum Research Desert Eagle .44mag +.50ae mark XIX
    Springfield Armory M1A - Socom16 CQB
    Mossberg 500 ATI-TACTICAL

With there above mentioned firearms in mind, if there are any specific tools you think I might need, by all means suggest them.

Thanks in advance!

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

maybe here
    http://www.graceusatools.com/product...?category_id=1

They're high quality enough that "Shinola" gets a cheaper version of them and marks them up by a bunch.

edit - changed the link to more gun tools from grace
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Member Forum User
    Thanks! I'll check them out!

Side question:

In what instance would I want to use brass punches over steel punches, and vice versa?
    Last edited by Some Donkus; 02-11-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Additional question

I am a Forum User
    Some type of armorers block
    Vise
    Gunsmith screwdrivers
    Starter punches
    Pin punches
    Files
    Stones

Banned
    Hockey Pucks are good for padding. The hard rubber is very toolable.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterspirit View Post
    Hockey Pucks are good for padding. The hard rubber is very toolable.
    Ohh, that makes good sense. I've been using a super durable rubber truck floor mat to do all my work on so far, but a hockey puck sounds like the perfect surface to use in conjunction with an armourers block. Thanks!

EDIT: Just had a thought... Do you think a slotted jack pad would work a well, or better? The slot could act as a guide for some components. Plus it's cheaper to buy a single jack pad than it is to buy a single Puck. I don't want to buy a 12-pack of pucks on amazon just to have 11 lie around... Will the jack pad be soft enough? \
    Last edited by Some Donkus; 02-11-2018 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Additional thought

I am a Forum User
    When I saw this thread I went to the remnants of my old gunsmith business just to take a look and see if I could put some perspective on this inquiry. After half an hour I can honestly say there are more questions than answers with a request like this. Yes you can list all the typical tools and hope they hit the mark but that's like saying you need a tool belt, hammer, squares, catspaw, pliers, chalkline, level etc etc and you can build a house. But here is what I came up with for starters.

First priority is vision so you need an OptiVisor headset
    A good work mat and bench with level sound surface
    Grace screw drivers are quality but I suggest a set of Magnatips with stub and full handles
    Punches: starters, roll pins, alignment, drift soft and hard, cup, etc etc. Starrett set best
    Pliers: needle nose short long offset, dikes small jaw, parallel jaw,
    4 & 8 oz ballpeen hammers and 3/4-1” combo brass/nylon head hammer screw in types
    Bench blocks both steel and plastic
    Stones all types too much to list
    Files both *******, 2nd cut Swiss pattern, needle set etc etc. need safe edge types
    Good mic and dial calipers, tapered feeler gauges
    Some hooks and picks
    Long curved good quality tweezers
    Good quality dental picks
    Good vices maybe a original Panavise either with extra set of brass or soft jaws
    This is pricey, but a good over bench magnifying light with min 4” lens and 6” better

The above is a portion of what I used as a mechanic working revolvers, pistols and misc . In addition to what I listed I have a fortune in specialized fixtures and tools for various guns. There is no end to the need for design specific tools since every couple of years something comes along that demands these.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by garbler View Post
    When I saw this thread I went to the remnants of my old gunsmith business just to take a look and see if I could put some perspective on this inquiry. After half an hour I can honestly say there are more questions than answers with a request like this. Yes you can list all the typical tools and hope they hit the mark but that's like saying you need a tool belt, hammer, squares, catspaw, pliers, chalkline, level etc etc and you can build a house. But here is what I came up with for starters.

First priority is vision so you need an OptiVisor headset
    A good work mat and bench with level sound surface
    Grace screw drivers are quality but I suggest a set of Magnatips with stub and full handles
    Punches: starters, roll pins, alignment, drift soft and hard, cup, etc etc. Starrett set best
    Pliers: needle nose short long offset, dikes small jaw, parallel jaw,
    4 & 8 oz ballpeen hammers and 3/4-1” combo brass/nylon head hammer screw in types
    Bench blocks both steel and plastic
    Stones all types too much to list
    Files both *******, 2nd cut Swiss pattern, needle set etc etc. need safe edge types
    Good mic and dial calipers, tapered feeler gauges
    Some hooks and picks
    Long curved good quality tweezers
    Good quality dental picks
    Good vices maybe a original Panavise either with extra set of brass or soft jaws
    This is pricey, but a good over bench magnifying light with min 4” lens and 6” better

The above is a portion of what I used as a mechanic working revolvers, pistols and misc . In addition to what I listed I have a fortune in specialized fixtures and tools for various guns. There is no end to the need for design specific tools since every couple of years something comes along that demands these.
    Phew! Well thank you for the very specific list! And, as you stated, I'm sure this is only the tip of the potential iceberg. I assume that like with any tradecraft, the collection of tools can get nearly impossible to measure. I've heard "stones" twice now, but have no idea what they refer to. Elaborate?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Donkus View Post
    Phew! Well thank you for the very specific list! And, as you stated, I'm sure this is only the tip of the potential iceberg. I assume that like with any tradecraft, the collection of tools can get nearly impossible to measure. I've heard "stones" twice now, but have no idea what they refer to. Elaborate?
    Think knife sharpening stone only higher quality...very basic comparison

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    Think knife sharpening stone only higher quality...very basic comparison
    Ahhh gotcha. So for extra fine re-edging. I'm assuming to fix barrel crowns, ejector blades, and generally anything where millimetres can make yards of difference or disaster?

Update: just finished a very -very- long Amazon hunt. So to start my kit I purchased the following...

Tekton Double faced mallet (I know it's not the best, but a starter to get me going)
    Swivel table vise
    Grace USA starter punch set
    Grace USA punch set
    Real Avid armorer's block
    Slotted Jack pad
    Disston Omni Table
    M1A diagram mat ('cuz it's a cool may for my M1A)
    Cheap Cleaning kit with Glock mat ('cuz I can always use cheap brushes and again, cool mat)
    M1A bolt disassembly tool
    M1A has cylinder wrench

I have plenty of various pliers and fine-work driver bits from other hobbies to carry me though until I buy specifics.
    Last edited by Some Donkus; 02-11-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast