Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armorer's Tools

I've purchased and re-purchased over the years. Best advice? Don't skimp on the punches, just buy the Starrett because you eventually will.

I am a Forum User
    Agree completely. Starrett punches are the only ones that last. The bigger diameters are not a problem with cheaper punches but for 1/8th and smaller you will break cheap steel punches.

MGO Member Forum User
    Side question: Brass dental picks... Okay to use? I know Hoppes sells them, and common sense tells me that the soft brass shouldn't be able to tear up hardened steel, but I figured I'd double-check.... My M.R. Desert Eagle fouls like the 1980's Detroit Pistons, and plastic dental picks don't even come close to scraping it off, especially behind the bolt locking lugs and near the gas piston. Would investing in some brass dental picks be wise, or should I avoid these for some reason?

Sight tool. I have a Wheeler. Midway has them for about $183.
    Very nice tool.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...gun-sight-tool
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Donkus View Post
    Ohh, that makes good sense. I've been using a super durable rubber truck floor mat to do all my work on so far, but a hockey puck sounds like the perfect surface to use in conjunction with an armourers block. Thanks!

EDIT: Just had a thought... Do you think a slotted jack pad would work a well, or better? The slot could act as a guide for some components. Plus it's cheaper to buy a single jack pad than it is to buy a single Puck. I don't want to buy a 12-pack of pucks on amazon just to have 11 lie around... Will the jack pad be soft enough? \

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod24254.aspx

Banned

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Danco411 View Post
    Agree completely. Starrett punches are the only ones that last. The bigger diameters are not a problem with cheaper punches but for 1/8th and smaller you will break cheap steel punches.
    Starrett isn't cheap. Buy once, cry once though

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by hunterspirit View Post
    Starrett isn't cheap. Buy once, cry once though
    I always liked Starrett Tools, They just feel better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12