Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Background Checks Are Not the Answer to Gun Violence

A very well written article printed in the New York Times regarding background checks, and how to improve them.Everyone needs to read this article, so that they are well informed, and conversant on the subject.

Background Checks Are Not the Answer to Gun Violence

By John Lott
    New York Times-Op-Ed
    February 12th. 2018

A handgun buyer filling out background check paperwork in Florida in 2016. Credit Joe Raedle/Getty Images
    With each mass shooting, calls rise from gun control advocates for tighter rules on firearms. The go-to policy prescription involves background checks. But a measure passed by the House and being considered in the Senate to expand the National Instant Criminal Background Check System would not only fail to fix major flaws in the system but would also probably introduce new ones.

The background check measures before Congress aim to improve enforcement of existing law and increase such reporting by imposing financial penalties on government officials whose agencies fail to provide required information.

That’s a good goal, but any proposal should also fix another major problem with the background check system: false positives that stop law-abiding people from getting weapons that they might need to protect themselves and their families.

The background check system confuses the names of law-abiding individuals with those of criminals, resulting in thousands of “false positives” every year. Relying on phonetically similar names along with birth dates just doesn’t allow for much accuracy.

We do need to fix the background check system. But let’s really fix it. Let’s make sure that rare cases like Devin Kelley can’t slip through the cracks, but let’s also make sure that the government stops preventing millions of law-abiding citizens from buying guns for protection. Adding more names without fixing these problems will only disarm law-abiding Americans.

Well of course the New York Times is going to come up with a reasonable argument AGAINST the FIX NICS bill.

That bill also contains National Reciprocity. Kill one, you kill both!

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Actually, even though it was printed in the NYT, the op-ed article was written by John Lott.
    There aren't many that are more pro gun than he is.

And I don't disagree with anything in the article.

I question the motive for NYT to pick it up. The only thing is some ulterior reason, like killing the rest of the bill.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post

I question the motive for NYT to pick it up.
    The only thing is some ulterior reason, like killing the rest of the bill.
    I'm suspicious of that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post

I question the motive for NYT to pick it up. The only thing is some ulterior reason, like killing the rest of the bill.
    Read the comments, this was nothing more than red meat to stir up the gun grabbing base!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by G550 View Post
    Read the comments, this was nothing more than red meat to stir up the gun grabbing base!
    sounds about right.