Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Bill allowing taking guns from unstable people may get hearing in Lansing

When it rains, it pours.

Bill allowing taking guns from unstable people may get hearing in Lansing

By Kathleen Gray
    Detroit Free Press
    February 20th. 2018

Michigan legislators may start the Second Amendment debate by looking at bills that would keep weapons out of the hands of people with mental health problems.At least 48 bills have been introduced to either expand or restrict access to guns and other weapons since the beginning of 2017. While most of the bills are stuck in legislative committees, unable to get a vote, two that deal specifically with removing guns from people who have mental health issues may take precedence over bills that will expand access to guns.

“With everything that’s going on now, this is a tool that could have helped in Florida,” state Rep. Robert Wittenberg, D-Oak Park, said of his “extreme risk protection” bill.

The measure would allow family members or law enforcement officials to petition a judge to get weapons temporarily removed from a person who presents a dangerous threat to themselves or others.

Five states – California, Oregon, Connecticut, Washington and Indiana – have such bills, also referred to as "red flag" legislation, and another dozen states are considering similar proposals.

I am a Forum User
    So a disgruntled wife who's been cheated on can lie to the court and get her soon-to-be ex-husband's firearms taken away from him? Nice ...

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    So a disgruntled wife who's been cheated on can lie to the court and get her soon-to-be ex-husband's firearms taken away from him? Nice ...
    Oh come on now scoop, suggesting a woman would lie is like saying a police officer might.
    Never happen.

Only white men lie & they always do.

I am a Forum User
    This better not happen. People may avoid treatment for anxiety out of fear of losing gun rights. Politicians suck

MGO Board of Directors

they can pretty much do this already.

MGO Member
    Who decides and how impartial will they be?

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by fatskater View Post
    Who decides and how impartial will they be?
    I heard a few minutes of discussion on the radio, They were saying you had to do something, and would have to goin front of a judge before they could act on anything.

Account Closed Forum User
    More reason not to cheat on your wife or otherwise be a crap husband!

Or to pick a crappy wife in the first place. Choices, like elections, have consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by matt11 View Post
    I heard a few minutes of discussion on the radio, They were saying you had to do something, and would have to goin front of a judge before they could act on anything.
    That is not the way the bill is written. Hell, the court clerk doesn't even have to require notification to the one that the order is written against before they show up to start taking things. This whole thing is a violation of due process and anyone voting for it and those that sponsored it should be brought up on charges of violating rights.

This is an extreme version of a PPO.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    You act like this isn't a relatively easy thing to accomplish right now with a PPO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast