Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galil ace

I am a Forum User

Galil ace

I understand the Galil Ace is registered as a pistol in Michigan but is it considered a short barreled rifle in Michigan? Another words, is it legal to own in Michigan?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp...ce-detail.html

16" barrel +butt stock= Rifle, less then 26" folded is MI pistol like you said. No stamp needed to own
    Last edited by JDG; 02-24-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    16" barrel +butt stock= Rifle, less then 26" folded is MI pistol like you said. No stamp needed to own
    The reason I'm asking is I read this.... especially the second and third paragraphs

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2010/10/whe...#ixzz582VBeZjd
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Under the more-restrictive Michigan law, any gun with an overall length of less than 30 inches is a pistol, and must be licensed and registered (the so-called “safety inspection”). Back in 1985, then Attorney General Frank Kelly issued Opinion No. 6280 (interpreting MCL 28.419 and MCL 28.421 et seq, as well as MCL 750.224b et seq) It states that if a folding-stock weapon is capable of functioning at a length less than 30 inches, it is a pistol. This applies even though the gun may have a stock attached, and therefore would not be considered a pistol under federal law.

Furthermore, if the gun is capable of functioning at a length less than 26 inches, it is considered a “short-barreled” rifle or shotgun, even if the barrel itself meets the minimum federal length requirements under federal law as noted above. “Short-barreled” rifles and “short-barreled” shotguns are illegal in Michigan. Manufacturing, selling or possessing them is a felony punishable by imprisonment of up to 5 years and/or a fine of up to $2,500.

To sum up: The magic numbers under federal law are minimum barrel lengths of 16 inches for a rifle and 18 inches for a shotgun. The magic numbers for Michigan are overall length requirements: Under 30 inches folded, and still able to shoot, register it as a pistol. But, under no circumstances can your gun be able to operate at a length of less than 26 inches if it has any kind of shoulder stock attached to it, folded or not.

Of course, there is no minimum size for a pistol that has no shoulder stock and is properly registered as a pistol.
    Last edited by erict; 02-24-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erict View Post
    The reason I'm asking is I read this.... especially the second and third paragraphs

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2010/10/whe...#ixzz582VBeZjd
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Under the more-restrictive Michigan law, any gun with an overall length of less than 30 inches is a pistol, and must be licensed and registered (the so-called “safety inspection”). Back in 1985, then Attorney General Frank Kelly issued Opinion No. 6280 (interpreting MCL 28.419 and MCL 28.421 et seq, as well as MCL 750.224b et seq) It states that if a folding-stock weapon is capable of functioning at a length less than 30 inches, it is a pistol. This applies even though the gun may have a stock attached, and therefore would not be considered a pistol under federal law.

Furthermore, if the gun is capable of functioning at a length less than 26 inches, it is considered a “short-barreled” rifle or shotgun, even if the barrel itself meets the minimum federal length requirements under federal law as noted above. “Short-barreled” rifles and “short-barreled” shotguns are illegal in Michigan. Manufacturing, selling or possessing them is a felony punishable by imprisonment of up to 5 years and/or a fine of up to $2,500.

To sum up: The magic numbers under federal law are minimum barrel lengths of 16 inches for a rifle and 18 inches for a shotgun. The magic numbers for Michigan are overall length requirements: Under 30 inches folded, and still able to shoot, register it as a pistol. But, under no circumstances can your gun be able to operate at a length of less than 26 inches if it has any kind of shoulder stock attached to it, folded or not.

Of course, there is no minimum size for a pistol that has no shoulder stock and is properly registered as a pistol.
    Out of date

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by pjeski View Post
    Out of date
    Well that explains it. Thank you. Can you link where I can find the latest wordage

Any wordage that you are going to find, similar to what you posed above, is just going to be some random persons' opinion.

We have previously linked laws and AG opinions that matter. You just have to get your mind around what they mean.

Also, a Federal SBS/SBR has TWO limitations. A rifle or shotgun with OAL of less than 26" OR with barrels less that 18/16 inches respectively is an SBS/SBR. Using the Federal measuring criteria.

The same applies to an SBS/SBR here in Michigan, there is just a different measuring criteria. It doesn't ever make it a pistol, but there is a requirement for anything under 26" OAL to be registered with the MSP.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Any wordage that you are going to find, similar to what you posed above, is just going to be some random persons' opinion.

We have previously linked laws and AG opinions that matter. You just have to get your mind around what they mean.

Also, a Federal SBS/SBR has TWO limitations. A rifle or shotgun with OAL of less than 26" OR with barrels less that 18/16 inches respectively is an SBS/SBR. Using the Federal measuring criteria.

The same applies to an SBS/SBR here in Michigan, there is just a different measuring criteria. It doesn't ever make it a pistol, but there is a requirement for anything under 26" OAL to be registered with the MSP.
    I'm trying to Wade through the laws/definitions and are confusing to say the least. I'm just trying to figure out if the Galil Ace as linked in my first post is legal in Michigan. Other than registering it as a pistol is there anything else that needs to be done.

I'm trying to Wade through the laws/definitions and are confusing to say the least. I'm just trying to figure out if the Galil Ace as linked in my first post is legal in Michigan. Other than registering it as a pistol is there anything else that needs to be done.
    I was going to comment on that firearm too, but I couldn't find the pertinent information as to whether it would need to be registered in Michigan. In other words, what is its length when folded.

With the change in law, here in Michigan, there are no firearms that can be had elsewhere that can not be legally owned here. SBR/SBS are no longer illegal, you just have to do all of the paper work.

That particular rifle has a 16+ inch barrel, and is over 26 inches for the OAL. Federally it is just a common everyday rifle.

If you were to purchase it and have it transferred through an FFL here, that FFL will give you an RI-060 to register it with if it is under 26" folded.

Don't over think it.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    I was going to comment on that firearm too, but I couldn't find the pertinent information as to whether it would need to be registered in Michigan. In other words, what is its length when folded.

With the change in law, here in Michigan, there are no firearms that can be had elsewhere that can not be legally owned here. SBR/SBS are no longer illegal, you just have to do all of the paper work.

That particular rifle has a 16+ inch barrel, and is over 26 inches for the OAL. Federally it is just a common everyday rifle.

If you were to purchase it and have it transferred through an FFL here, that FFL will give you an RI-060 to register it with if it is under 26" folded.

Don't over think it.
    Thank you for the info. The Galil is 25.5" folded.

Thank you for the info. The Galil is 25.5" folded.
    In that case, MCL 750-224b is the law that applies:

Sec. 224b.

(1) A person shall not make, manufacture, transfer, or possess a short-barreled shotgun or a short-barreled rifle.

<-snip->

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle that is lawfully made, manufactured, transferred, or possessed under federal law.

(4) A person, excluding a manufacturer, lawfully making, transferring, or possessing a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle that is 26 inches or less in length under this section shall comply with section 2 or 2a of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422 and 28.422a.
    Subsection 1 says that SBS/SBRs are illegal.
    Subsection 3 gives the exception, and in this case, the firearm is just a rifle to the feds so it is legal under federal law.
    Subsection 4 makes the requirement that firearms of this type, that are 26" or less, must be registered in the MSP database.

This is were we fall back on the AG opinion that in Michigan it is the shortest operable configuration, whereas the Feds would include the full length of the stock making it just a rifle, but an SBR here.

Like I said before, don't over think it. Order it and take the transfer through an FFL here in Michigan, and they will give you what you need. Mail in the copy of the RI-060 to your local LEO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast