Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User

Advise needed, where to get started.

So I need some advise.

I'd like to get a Garand from the CMP, maybe two.

The extent of my lifetime shooting experience consists of plinking cans and groundhogs around the farm. I've never shot around people (I do understand safety precautions)

As I understand it, I need an organized shooting event to qualify to buy from the CMP. Where is a good place to start? I've never shot socially, and I have to admit I'm not great at it (Eyesight).

Any laid back events in southern MI willing to put up with a 40 year old newby?

Just go to the CMP site and read what the eligibility requirements are. CMP sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements

I assume that you are a citizen, and I can see that you are a member of an affiliated org (MGO is an affiliate).

Then you just have to meet one of the following:

• Current or past military service.
    • Current or past law enforcement service
    • Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    • Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor). Visit https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.p...ch&task=search to find an upcoming CMP sanctioned clinic or match.
    • Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
    • Concealed Carry License.
    • Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
    • Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
    • Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.

Attending an Appleseed event will meet the requirement, so will having a concealed pistol license from your home state.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I took an M1 clinic at the Detroit Sportsmen's congress when I did mine. It was a great class and I learned alot about shooting in general. They also taught a bunch on info specific to he M1's history, cleaning and operation. I would look into that one if they still offer it.

I am a Forum User
    Come to one of my CMP Matches at Monroe. Just show up and bring $10. Let me know you are coming and I will have everything for you to shoot and will coach you through the 30 shot match. I will provide you with a signed CMP participation certificate and your score will be sent to the CMP which will get you a competitor #. First match is Saturday March 17th. Range setup and then squadding begins @ 8 am and we begin firing @ 10 am. Done by 3.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
    Come to one of my CMP Matches at Monroe. Just show up and bring $10. Let me know you are coming and I will have everything for you to shoot and will coach you through the 30 shot match. I will provide you with a signed CMP participation certificate and your score will be sent to the CMP which will get you a competitor #. First match is Saturday March 17th. Range setup and then squadding begins @ 8 am and we begin firing @ 10 am. Done by 3.
    That sounds great, I will definitely be there on the 17th.

I am a Forum User
    An Appleseed event is also a great way to get shooting experience and learn marksmanship.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtractors View Post
    That sounds great, I will definitely be there on the 17th.
    Want to shoot an AR (Nationals match w/ optic), M1 Garand or 1903A3 Springfield? Match program below, 2nd page has directions.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1de...XTxAxaU7rYNsfL

I am a Forum User
    The C&R license would be a way to get around going to a shooting event. Just fill out the paperwork and send the ATF $30. Easy peezy.

MGO Member Forum User
    I'm looking forward to shooting, no reason to get around it.

LGS has a severely beautiful Smith-Corona ’03A3 I'm trying to resist dropping a thousand dollars on.

MGO Member Forum User
    My main goal is to shoot better than I bowl, and that's a pretty low mark to set.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast