Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Ruger 44 Magnum Carbine

So I had a chance to pick up a couple Ruger .44 Magnum carbines with the finger groove sporter stocks. Am I correct that the butt plate has to come off and the stock screw has to come out to get the action out of the stocks. I don't see any other way and these don't have the band at the front of the forearm. I want to be sure before I start taking them apart. They need a good cleaning after being stored for what seems like several years.

Thanks for any information anyone has.

Marketplace Moderator
    Look on youtube. Probably have what you need there. They made a lever action and a semi-auto versions. Which do you have?
    Good Shooting, MOOSE

I am a Forum User
    I've never taken down that model as they are kind of rare but I think you are on the right track. As I recall there is a recoil block that is thru-bolted to the butt and I doubt the action will come free of the stock without removing this block

Good luck

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    If the OP is calling it a carbine with a thumbhole stock my guess is it’s a semi auto. I’ve yet to see a lever with a thumbhole stock?

But yes, I’d either do some looking on YouTube, go to Numrich gun parts website to see if they have an exploded parts view or to Ruger themselves and see if a manual with a parts list and view is available. Those will tell you how the action is attached to the stock.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    The finger groove forend stock is not a thumbhole style stock at all. It's a conventionally shaped forearm with the upper edges along the barrel grooved in a half round pattern using core-box style tooling. In use the shooter can easily find a comfortable home or grip for the fingers of the off hand either left or right side. The OP is a lucky guy to score TWO such rare guns. Savage 99A's offered this finger groove stock on a select few of their guns and they too are rare and valuable.

I am a Forum User
    Think one of the sling swivel screws runs through to the gas block attached to the bottom of the barrel. Removing this screw allows the metalwork to be lifted out of the stock. The through bolt holds the receiver rear anchor block in place, but this does not have to be removed to remove most of the metalwork.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for all of the input. They are the semi auto finger groove stocks not a thumb hole. I tried youtube but the only vid's I could find were for the banded stock. I forgot about the swing swivel. I'll try taking that out first and then the stock bolt if the swivel doesn't free it. All of the manuals and video's I'm finding only show the barrel band style stock.

My girlfriends uncle passed right before thanksgiving and me being the only gun guy in the family I was asked to see what he had. I about fainted when I found the first one and ten minutes later came across the second one. I felt like Jeremiah Johnson in the movie when he found Hatchet Jacks .50 cal Hawkin. I'm sending to Ruger for certificates of authenticity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Thanks for all of the input. They are the semi auto finger groove stocks not a thumb hole. I tried youtube but the only vid's I could find were for the banded stock. I forgot about the swing swivel. I'll try taking that out first and then the stock bolt if the swivel doesn't free it. All of the manuals and video's I'm finding only show the barrel band style stock.

My girlfriends uncle passed right before thanksgiving and me being the only gun guy in the family I was asked to see what he had. I about fainted when I found the first one and ten minutes later came across the second one. I felt like Jeremiah Johnson in the movie when he found Hatchet Jacks .50 cal Hawkin. I'm sending to Ruger for certificates of authenticity.
    check here ... https://ruger.com/service/productHis...44Carbine.html

MGO Member
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Pub/sch...bine_schem.jpg

This schematic shows the recoil block bolt that has to be removed.

I am a Forum User
    Sorry about your girlfriends uncle.
    Yes, we are all jealous of you.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast