Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User

My 1917 Enfield.

I picked this Enfield up, probably a good 15 years ago, had it checked out, but never shot it myself. Once I figured out they had cut it down I didn't want to mess with it until I could afford to make it right again.

E-bay barrel. Took a chance on buying this and not a Criterion, hope for the best.

Any ideas on these markings?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtractors View Post
    I picked this Enfield up, probably a good 15 years ago, had it checked out, but never shot it myself. Once I figured out they had cut it down I didn't want to mess with it until I could afford to make it right again.

E-bay barrel. Took a chance on buying this and not a Criterion, hope for the best.

Any ideas on these markings?

Looks like a used barrel. That may get a bit involved to install.

I am a Forum User
    I bought an SMLE III* a couple of years ago in the same configuration as yours, ("sporterized"). I found these people will have all the parts you need to return it to it's former glory. You'll need to go over pictures of the original mark to find out what pieces you'll need. Looking at the picture you provided you have a bit more work and expense than I did since it appears that they have removed the original furniture and the butt, don'e something to the receiver and installed a single butt and foreend. When I got mine it was only the foreend furniture that had been cut down.

Hope this helps and fire any questions you might have. I'm not an expert but I managed to get mine back to "normal".

AM1958, he has a U.S. Rifle M1917 in .30-06.

Redtractors, You might be in for a search to find replacement military stocks. It appears that Popperts Gun Parts has one, but you might want to double check. Also, Numerich has a reproduction stock, but it is two hundred bucks (whoa!).

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SMLE View Post
    AM1958, he has a U.S. Rifle M1917 in .30-06.

Redtractors, You might be in for a search to find replacement military stocks. It appears that Popperts Gun Parts has one, but you might want to double check. Also, Numerich has a reproduction stock, but it is two hundred bucks (whoa!).
    They turn up on the auction site, but are bring a lot of $. 1917 parts are no longer cheap. That Numerich stock might be the route I take.

MGO Member Forum User
    My stock arrived today, I will get some pictures up later, this quickly turned into one of those "Could have bought a whole one for less" projects. Still have to scrounge up the rest of the metal.

I am a Forum User
    Curious, where did you get your stock from? I just bought a nice Winchester 1917 that is set up just like yours. I was going to call Popperts since the last one on Ebay went for $537!

MGO Member Forum User

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtractors View Post
    My stock arrived today, I will get some pictures up later, this quickly turned into one of those "Could have bought a whole one for less" projects. Still have to scrounge up the rest of the metal.
    Think of it this way, you are making a true 1917 in the process and undoing what someone thought was a good idea.

I am a Forum User
    I have two SMLE's. One is sporterized and scoped, the other bears its original furniture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast