Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Swapping Uppers on my AR-15's

I just ordered a upper to play with in 7.62x39 I ordered the 18" so I am good this time but I am wondering what I would have to do if I wanted one that was shorter? The lower I am using is not registered as a pistol its one I purchased when they did the last buy here (Pretty!). It said I was responsible for having the proper paperwork. What is the proper paperwork? If I had a pistol length lower it would be a pistol or a carbine depending one which upper I would have on it at any time.

Thanks

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

start here
    Pistol-definition-as-it-relates-to-AR-pistol
    see if that answers your question
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    Get shorter than a 16" barrel and then you're into pistol/sbr territory.

Check out this thread in regards to 7.62x39 AR's :http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...R-too-much-fog
    Last edited by mudoven; 03-07-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnDweller View Post
    I just ordered a upper to play with in 7.62x39 I ordered the 18" so I am good this time but I am wondering what I would have to do if I wanted one that was shorter? The lower I am using is not registered as a pistol its one I purchased when they did the last buy here (Pretty!). It said I was responsible for having the proper paperwork. What is the proper paperwork? If I had a pistol length lower it would be a pistol or a carbine depending one which upper I would have on it at any time.

Thanks
    As a couple others have said, anything shorter than a 16" barrel is going to be pistol/SBR. You can usually get away with a 14.5" if the muzzle device is pinned/welded on to make it permanently attached as long as the length with the muzzle device is 16". If you wanted to get a pistol length upper (which I'm assuming is what you meant rather than "pistol length lower"), you'll need a lower registered as a pistol to put it on which means either a lower that was explicitly purchased/transferred as a pistol or a stripped lower you purchased since they are transferred as "other", not a pistol or rifle. You cannot legally attach a pistol upper onto a lower that you purchased as a rifle, even if you change the buffer tube on it to be a pistol buffer tube.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "proper paperwork" but I'm guessing it's referring to either having an SBR stamp if you intend on making one or registering the lower as pistol with MSP if it is warranted.

I am a Forum User
    my understanding is that you cannot go from a "rifle" to a "pistol" lower but you can go from a "pistol" to a "rifle". So best to register as a pistol out of the gate so you have the option. Since yours is existing as a rifle first you'd have to do either a 16" or the 14.5" pinned/welded as stated above.

If you want to go with a shorter upper I'd start from scratch with a lower registered as a pistol. Its cheaper and easier than getting the "proper paperwork" which is the tax stamp youd need for an sbr which has a waiting period and a decent cost attached. Since all of these pistol braces have been "approved" by the atf there's no reason to do an sbr, unless you are a purist...

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the info! When I buy another lower I will get one that is registered as a pistol, I will ask when I buy it but for now I was just curious.

I checked out the link about 7.62x39 I know I may have problems with it, I only plan on shooting my hand loads (brass cased) so I should not have the primer problem, feeding who knows? Its just going to be a range toy that I can put my suppressor on easy. I have developed a subsonic round with a powder coated cst bullet 203 grain I do not even know if it will cycle it. It shoots ok in my Ruger American bolt gun in 7.63x39.

Was lucky to get my hands on about 1000 pieces of brass and I just seem to like the 7.62x39 cartridge. I have a round (129 gr powder coated cast bullet) that I have loaded, its supersonic and runs my AK-47 just fine and rings the steel just great.