Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

The Urban-Rural Divide On Second Amendment Rights

Here's How Florida's New Gun Bill Highlights the Urban-Rural Divide On Second Amendment Rights

By Matt Vespa
    Townhall.com
    March 8th. 2018

In the wake of the tragic shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, where 17 people were shot and killed by Nikolas Cruz, there was a renewed call for legislative action on firearms. In Tallahassee, the state legislature just passed a bill that is now heading for Gov. Rick Scott’s desk for signature. Is it what Democrats wanted? Probably not, but they’re working within the confines of a Republican-dominated legislature.

The bill authorizes a program, which pending school district approval, will permit school employees and teachers to carry concealed firearms on campus providing applicants get training from law enforcement. The age to purchase long guns has been raised to 21 from 18, institutes a waiting period, bans bump stocks, provides more mental health programs for schools, and establishes an anonymous tip line to report possible threats (via Associated Press):

Arming teachers is not something new; it’s already established policy in various school districts. I would rather have armed military veterans providing the security, but this initiative, plus the mental health programs and the tip line are things that Second Amendment supporters can get behind. Banning bump stocks I think is a total waste of time since it’s more of a novelty item, green lit under the Obama administration, but I can swallow that pill. What I cannot abide by is the waiting periods and increasing the age to buy long guns. Waiting periods don’t curb gun violence, they only prevents a law-abiding citizen from obtaining a firearm. It chips away at gun rights. What if someone needed that firearm immediately? If anything what this tragedy showed is that you cannot rely entirely on the police to protect you. At the federal and local level, they dropped the ball in stopping this kid. The FBI got a tip on January 5 and didn’t even forward it to their Miami office. FBI Director Chris Wray had to admit that protocol were not followed on this inquiry and apologized.

I am a Forum User
    "The bill authorizes a program, which pending school district approval, will permit school employees and teachers to carry concealed firearms on campus providing applicants get training from law enforcement. The age to purchase long guns has been raised to 21 from 18, institutes a waiting period, bans bump stocks, provides more mental health programs for schools, and establishes an anonymous tip line to report possible threats"

How many mass shootings, schools or others were committed within the waiting period they have written?
    I bet it will be none and if so why the waiting period?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    "The bill authorizes a program, which pending school district approval, will permit school employees and teachers to carry concealed firearms on campus providing applicants get training from law enforcement. The age to purchase long guns has been raised to 21 from 18, institutes a waiting period, bans bump stocks, provides more mental health programs for schools, and establishes an anonymous tip line to report possible threats"

How many mass shootings, schools or others were committed within the waiting period they have written?
    I bet it will be none and if so why the waiting period?
    Feel-good, did something.

I am a Forum User
    Florida already has a three day waiting period on handguns.

790.0655 Purchase and delivery of handguns; mandatory waiting period; exceptions; penalties.—
    (1)(a) There shall be a mandatory 3-day waiting period, which shall be 3 days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, between the purchase and the delivery at retail of any handgun. “Purchase” means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer. “Handgun” means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver. “Retailer” means and includes every person engaged in the business of making sales at retail or for distribution, or use, or consumption, or storage to be used or consumed in this state, as defined in s. 212.02(13).
    (b) Records of handgun sales must be available for inspection by any law enforcement agency, as defined in s. 934.02, during normal business hours.
    (2) The 3-day waiting period shall not apply in the following circumstances:
    (a) When a handgun is being purchased by a holder of a concealed weapons permit as defined in s. 790.06.
    (b) To a trade-in of another handgun.
    (3) It is a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084:
    (a) For any retailer, or any employee or agent of a retailer, to deliver a handgun before the expiration of the 3-day waiting period, subject to the exceptions provided in subsection (2).