Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

View Poll Results: Is Michigan a Pro Gun state?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Pro Gun.

29 25.00%
  • No. Rules, regulations and registration will only get worse.

45 38.79%
  • Yes. We lost our way, but we are taking it back.

42 36.21%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I guess it depends what your definition of "pro-gun" and "anti-gun" is. If by "pro gun" you mean anyone can carry or purchase whatever they want without restriction, then no, it is not a pro-gun state. Michigan has no cities to my knowledge that ban concealed carry, we have no counties/cities that I'm aware of that ban "assault weapons", we don't have any sort of laws restricting magazine capacity or the ability to easily purchase ammunition, no mandatory waiting periods on firearms, plenty of ranges available even in urban areas like Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, or Lansing.

If the biggest threat to gun rights in Michigan is the inconvenience of me having to mail in a 3x5 piece of paper anytime I purchase a pistol, I'm willing to deal with it if it means I don't need to deal with the sort of crap CA has to deal with.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    I guess it depends what your definition of "pro-gun" and "anti-gun" is. If by "pro gun" you mean anyone can carry or purchase whatever they want without restriction, then no, it is not a pro-gun state. Michigan has no cities to my knowledge that ban concealed carry, we have no counties/cities that I'm aware of that ban "assault weapons", we don't have any sort of laws restricting magazine capacity or the ability to easily purchase ammunition, no mandatory waiting periods on firearms, plenty of ranges available even in urban areas like Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, or Lansing.

If the biggest threat to gun rights in Michigan is the inconvenience of me having to mail in a 3x5 piece of paper anytime I purchase a pistol, I'm willing to deal with it if it means I don't need to deal with the sort of crap CA has to deal with.
    MI has premption cities can’t make laws stricter than the state

The problem with registration isn’t the inconvenience

If your main concern for moving is guns, you could do better in a state other than Michigan. Things are definitely better in Northern Michigan but, moving from California to somewhere north of the 45th parallel might be a shock to your system. Pick one without registration, for a start.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    Registration...that should be enough
    Vehicle carry
    MI pistols
    Ccw penalty
    Get a cpl or purchase permit from your local PD and you can walk in and walk out with a gun instantly.
    With cpl you can print your own purchase permit and buy gun from private individual on the spot.
    Can buy long gun from private individual without doing anything.
    Granted, we could do away with the "pistol free zones."
    There are worse states.
    Last edited by dpa; 03-13-2018 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpa View Post
    Get a cpl or purchase permit from your local PD and you can walk in and walk out with a gun instantly.
    With cpl you can print your own purchase permit and buy gun from private individual on the spot.
    There are worse states.
    For perspective, we are one of six states to require registration. Yes, I'm sure one of the other five is worse than us.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dpa View Post
    There are worse states.
    How easy or quick it is doesn’t change the fact that it’s registration

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    How easy or quick it is doesn’t change the fact that it’s registration
    Would be nice to do away with that as well.

I am a Forum User
    I am in Louisiana. I'm from Louisiana. I worked in MI.

MI is NOT pro-gun.

MI IS pro-Hunting, like many states.

Forced registration is a major problem (for me) in MI.

Pros

LOTS of shooters in SE MI. Not sure why but I thoroughly enjoyed being amongst and one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Michigan gun laws are like Michigan weather. Could be better, could be worse.

I am a Forum User
    MI laws are at times confusing. It doesn't help that many LEO CPL instructors teach their "opinion" rather than published law.

with a CPL it's legal to {open} carry in a conceal pistol free zone. Unless it's a courthouse, or if a school board determines you can't in direct violation of preememption.

Don't have to "register" a pistol if you have an out of state conceal carry permit

Most have no idea what the printed legal definition of a bar is, and even better, even if you do understand it, there is not legal definition of the published words.

Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Flint, Detroit have too much influence. Doesn't help we have an Ann Arbor Democrat sitting in the Gov's seat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast